PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Filters

biggie1985
Fri Nov 24, 2006, 09:08 AM
Just wondering whether they are positive or negative for discus?

Do fry get attached to the sponge filter instead of parents?

Your thoughts would be great

Cheers
Dave

mistakes r crucial
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 08:07 PM
Simple answer, yes they do. If your tank/s aren't on a system then it's a bit tricky as they are probably your only form of filtration. Some people wrap them in Dacron (white filter wool) but I prefer to take them out completely. There's enough that can go wrong breeding Discus without tempting fate so if you can, take them out.
MAC

elvip
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 09:39 PM
Hi MAC,
Following on from your reply - I was just wondering how you run your breeding tanks on a filtration system other than sponge filters??
If there is a a filter of some sort - esp a sump system - this would mean water current and water cycling - wouldn't the fry then be sucked along with the current down the pipes and into the filter? :shock:
I personally prefer a filter of some sort - as in my own experience haven't found the sponge filters on their own adequate enough to do the job - but how do you the stop the fry being lost down/into the filtration system??
I am looking to setting up a breeding room in my garage, and have been wondering about this and which is the best way to set this up.
Thanks again
Elvip :D

seecuta
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 10:42 PM
there are some other sponge filters available that are white available on the market. or you could even try hang on filters with some form of white sponge attached to the inlet.

mistakes r crucial
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 11:46 PM
Hi Elvira,

All my breeding tanks are on a sump system but there are definite advantages and disadvantages of running it the way I do. Many people think that all your breeders on the same water is a big no, no. All your eggs in the one basket so to speak and in some respects they are absolutely right. I've had flukes go through my system and instead of one pair having treatment in a 120 litre tank, it's treating the whole lot at 4000 litres. Get's expensive if you don't keep your system in top shape.

Apart from the increased cost of med's from time to time and the threat of, if one get's it they all do, for me, the advantages of running the breeders on a system far outweigh the disadvantages. The cost of running individual heaters in 20 odd breeding tanks gets a bit expensive and there is also the issue of filtration and IMO sponge filters are more trouble than they're worth.

Water changes are an absolute breeze on a system whereas the exact opposite applies with separate tanks. If I had to change water in 50 separate tanks I'd give the game away, period. The biggest advantage for me is pheromones, I have had pairs that just wouldn't get it together so we've waited until a few other pairs have spawned, do a nice big W/C and more than often, Bob's your Uncle, they spawn. We never have any less than 8-10 pairs spawning at a time so I am a firm believer in the Pheromone thing.

Fry don't get dragged into the sump nor do they get knocked around by the current as long as you can control waterflow in your system which you can do easily with 25ml taps. We have stainless steel covers that screw in to our bulk heads and because they are a very fine mesh we never lose fry through them.

When you plan your system give me a ring, we made alot of mistakes so if we can let you know where we went wrong it might save you some time and money.
MAC

elvip
Sun Nov 26, 2006, 11:57 PM
Cheers MAC,
I think I'll take you up on that offer when I'm ready!! :wink:
Elvip