PDA

View Full Version : Breeding in community tank

captando
Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:06 AM

Robdog
Fri Nov 10, 2006, 02:31 AM
Well done mate and welcome aboard the forum. That's awesome that they have survived in the com tank. I'm having enough trouble getting mine to eat let alone lay in the community tank.

I think we'd all love to see some pics if you have any. Especially of the wild mum

captando
Fri Nov 10, 2006, 03:51 AM
Thanks Robdog

I know what you mean! The effort I have expended in the past of trying to get them to eat, breed and then trying to rear them - and then these guys go and ignore the rules and just do it themsleves.

Got to admit that they have been great to watch - its a different experience watching them with the babies in the community tank compared to a clean breeding tank - especially then way she's taking them to different parts of the tank and letting them wander off a little to feed.

I will post some pics on the weekend.

Merrilyn
Fri Nov 10, 2006, 12:37 PM
Congratulations Ando, anda very warm welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you know how unusual it is to have fry survive in a community tank, so well done !

Sounds like that wild caught mum is a real treasure :P

captando
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 05:42 AM
Finally worked out how to post a pic :D Here are a few pictures.

And thanks for the welcome Ladyred - even though I am new at posting - I've been reading your words of wisdom for some time now!

scott bowler
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 05:55 AM
wow that is awesome i havent seen that before you are lucky they must be great mum and dad to have protected them in there and the fish are very nice fish too love dad.

scott bowler
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 05:58 AM
oh and if and when you would like to sell let us know

Merrilyn
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 06:02 AM
Absolutely beautiful. :P

Dad is not a ring leopard but probably a leopard spot snake skin, and a very nice one at that.

The wild female is stunning.

Congratulations again.

captando
Mon Nov 13, 2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks Ladyred for the correct i.d. I knew there was a 'leopard' in there somewhere.

Just one more of mum taking the babies grazing.

elvip
Tue Nov 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
Hi Captando,
Well done and congrats!!! :wave2 :wave2
Great shots - it is a beautiful site to see mum and the babies in what almost you can imagine as the wild!!! Probably the closest I'll ever get to see anything like that anyway!!
You/they have done exceptionally well in rearing them in a community tank - it is hard enough in a breeding tank with no other confounding factors involved! It is a beautiful sight. :D
Keep us posted.
Cheers
Elvip

lesxda
Mon Nov 27, 2006, 06:57 AM
Great Pics and Great effort on bot you and the parents. you have got me thinking about a comunity tank with just a pair of discus and the smaller neons and others. I will try my luck as I can have them inside in my 6ft display tank,
better than the garage.
les

WinnY
Tue Nov 28, 2006, 02:55 AM
Wow Captando great looking tank mate and having success in raising the babies in a community tank is just awesome. Hope they grow up to be big and beautiful!!

harvey.6
Fri Dec 01, 2006, 07:52 PM
wow that coool. iv never seen that before. well done mate

Patson
Sat Dec 02, 2006, 12:50 PM
Wow! gratz! Definitely keep us updated plzzzzzzzz :D

It makes me think if the wild caught Discus has a better sense of protecting her babies than other tank raised ones :P