PDA

View Full Version : Freeze-dried tubifex worms

flaggy
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 12:43 PM
G'day

Does freeze-dried tubiflex worms keep its nutritional value after opening, or does it degrade quite quickly (like flakes)?

I have some which is about 5 months old - should I chuck it away or is it still good to feed?

Cheers

wickedglass
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 02:17 PM
I don't use them, all I've read about them is that the fd process doesn't completely eliminate bacteria and parasites from the tissues of the worms. Most of our fish won't touch them anyway, except the school of congo tetras, but they eat anything. I think I also read somewhere that they don't retain their nutritional value for extremely long times after opening. My advice is chuck them out.

SandyLynne
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:33 PM
How long do flakes keep for though, or for that matter any dried food, colorbits etc :?:

Nathan
Mon Oct 16, 2006, 05:42 AM
it depends on how often you open an close the container, but i think after around a month or so they start to lose vitamins etc.

the best thing to do is buy the biggest container of colorbits an the smallest an use the smallest then refill it with colorbits from the big one, the vitamins are lost due to oxygen continuing to get into the container.

im not 100% sure on thsi theory but i have heard it somewhere

Bad Inferno
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 12:28 PM
I place a couple of bags of silica gell in my food containers. Even the small container has one in the bottom. I get the silica gell just from prepackaged stuff. Even my new DVD player had some in the packaging.

It keeps the food dry

goldenpigeon
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 01:02 PM
i just seal mine in tight containers and throw it in the fridge. keeps very well.

Bad Inferno
Fri Oct 20, 2006, 09:25 PM
Oops I was talking about color bits with silica gell not frozen worms :)