PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tips.

chris
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:44 AM
Has anyone got any Ideas.
I have a pair of Golden crystals.
In the community tank they paired up and layed eggs, but they weren't fertile.
Anyway I decided to move them into there own tank, I usually wait, for my previous pairs to raise free swimming fry in the community tank first before moving them. Ive had great success this way.
I moved this pair a bit early for my liking, so far they haven't showed any signs of spawning again.
I help the spawning process by using rain water, but this isn't working.
Male is proven, he has been involved with free swimming fry before.
Females not.
To me he seems not interested.
Any tips or ideas.
Thanks Chris :wink:

benjohnson
Sun Oct 15, 2006, 08:46 PM
I've found a good feeding up on frozen blood worms seems to get them going well.

I have also heard that dropping the temp by a couple of degrees whilst doing a water change, then bringing the temp back up to normal inspires them to do the business, just be careful you don't drop it too quickly and too much , else you will push them further the other way ;-)

HTH

Ben

chris
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 07:43 AM
Thanks Ben all those tips already been used in my normal efforts to get them to spawn, using rain water softer water temperature drops, feeding with blood worms after water changes, tried live Brine.
They spawned in the community tank with ease.
But in my breeding tank no luck with the usual methods.
There very happy in there feeding well. But I see no signs of spawning. I don't get it. :cry:

scott bowler
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 07:53 AM
hi chris try drop the ph a little and see how that gose and live food is good black worms, mozzy laver, or brine, that sould do it scott

samir
Wed Oct 18, 2006, 08:00 AM
wait till tuesday evening. don't do any water changes and feed them normally. rain is forecast for tuesday and once it starts drop your water to 50% and leave a canister with spray bar running so there is a lot of splashing and lots of tiny air bubbles. then fill the tank up with cooler water, preferably with a power head or pump, to ensure that there is a lot of aeration happening while the tank is filling up. once the tank is full turn off the canister. if they start spawning turn off everything and turn on the air driven sponge after they finish. lots of air + rainy weather + cool water change. hope that helps, odds are they will spawn within the hour.

chris
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 05:51 AM
Very Interesting Samir I will give that a go, makes perfect sense, I usually use rain water whilst trying to induce spawning therefore PH is automatically lowered.
But I never do 50% water changes, all the aeration to simulate a huge downfall of rain. then the rain stops feed with blood worms and hopefully spawning?
Ill give it a go.
Everthing else is good, My tanks alredy raised two batches of turks one lot is nearly 2 years old. So I know the environment all good. Its a proven tank (spot) Its just the conventional methods dont work...]
with this pair............ :wink:

samir
Thu Oct 19, 2006, 06:04 AM
works for me every single time. sometimes i do a 20% change with cold water straight from the tap, that works great too. do put up some pics when you get the time. i love pics :D