PDA

View Full Version : how to breed peppermint bristlenose

Hettie_48
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:25 AM
Hi,
I have a friend who is constantly breeding 100's of ordinary BN's in a 6ft tank.
She wants to get peppermints. Are they as easy to breed? And does anyone have any for sale?
thanks

samir
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:38 AM
check the classifieds. they are not hard to breed

Hettie_48
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 06:47 AM
Do ordinary BN and peppermints cross breed?
Can you keep both in the one tank?
Thanks

Robdog
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 08:10 AM
You can keep them in the same tank but I doubt they would cross. Not that you should want them too anyway.
My peps and BN coexist as long as the peps don't get in the BN's way.

mcloughlin2
Sun Oct 08, 2006, 09:13 AM
As peppermint BN history is not known, and its believed to be a cross with a few species i would not mix them together ... :wink:

So i would not keep them in the same tank given our already limited gene pool ...

From what i've read they are quite hard to breed compared to common BN ...

Our sponsers FishRock and Deep Blue Aquaria both have 3-4cm peps For $20-25 each ...

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 09, 2006, 03:57 PM
Definately more difficult to breed than ordinary BNs. I'd keep the two species separate, if only to stop the BN's taking over all the breeding caves.

Peppermints need to be between 18 months and 2 years before they will breed, otherwise everything else is pretty much the same.

Ben
Tue Oct 10, 2006, 02:00 AM
I would recommend having much higher dissolved oxygen in the tank for breeding peppermints than the humble aquatic rabbit!

Another point that many people fail in breeding peppermints in they need tight breeding caves.

The caves need to be twice as long as the male and body width high and wide.

Keep the water in pristine condition (ph 6.6-7, gh5)
And if you have a fertile male and female you should breed peppermints no worries!