PDA

View Full Version : Filtration for breeding tanks?

DIY
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 05:05 AM
I'm looking at running a couple of 4x18x18 tanks in a 2 tier rack and a couple of 3x18x18's also in a 2 tier rack that I'm getting secondhand for a fair price.

I plan to insulate back & sides of each tank with styrofoam to keep in heat. With styrofoam on the bottom as well, this will also create a white bottom, Background & sides. I'll also silicon in a piece of "u" channel plastic across the centre of the tank so I can slide in an acrylic divider for breeding pairs. I'll have white and clear divider's to see which works best. I prefer removable dividers at this stage to keep my options open.

I'm thinking in advance I "may" try to breed some lighter colour strains like albino, rgd, snow white etc. I understand these can be troublesome with fry attaching and anything dark in the tank will attract fry instead of the parents. Since heater ends & sponge filters are dark and use up space I'm considering something a little out of the ordinary for the setup.

I'm thinking of an overflow arrangement, the overflow pipe can have a net or filter wool placed over it when (if?) I get fry. This would run into a small sump that holds the heater & some wet/dry bio material for filtration. I could also run a "traditional" sponge filter in the tank but remove it if necessary. with the sponge removed the tank would only have 1 white pvc overflow pipe, one small white pvc return pipe and maybe a larger pvc pipe on an angle as a medium for the eggs to be laid on.

Obviously the overflow/sump filtration would need to be very gentle/low turnover to avoid problems with the milt not reaching the eggs. I'm thinking it could be turned off and rely on the sponge during actual spawning, although this requires me to be there at the right time to turn it off.

I could run 2 overflows per tank (1 per divided side) and 2 returns OR 1 of each and a divider with holes covered with fine netting material for flow-through.

Being a bit of a DIY'r and a having a garage of tool's makes the building of this reasonably simple for me, just a little time consuming.

Am I making it too complicated? love to hear any other idea's for setups that would be good for the lighter colour strains..

mistakes r crucial
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you've got it all just about covered DIY. Have you considered using paint to insulate your tanks as opposed to foam? I've found it does a better job than foam.
MAC

samir
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:06 AM
Sounds like you've got it all just about covered DIY. Have you considered using paint to insulate your tanks as opposed to foam? I've found it does a better job than foam.
MAC
any specific kind of paint Mac ?

mistakes r crucial
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:28 AM
Did mine in a lovely baby blue, got the interior designer in here and that was her best advice :wink:

Just ordinary wall paint, it works well.
MAC

samir
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:32 AM
:D thanks will try that

mistakes r crucial
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 09:40 AM
An old mate of mine told me paint would insulate better than foam and I said "Yeah, right!, sure it will" As I've found on many occasions, he's right or at least he is in my fish room.
MAC

Merrilyn
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:09 AM
Don't you just hate it when someone is always right :x

Who would have believed that a coat of paint could insulate just as well as foam :?

Mulisha
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:27 AM
This is a little irrelvent but i was eating luch the other day and heard some carpenter and a painter talking about painting things and the painter said if the outside of your roof is white or a light colour paint the under it/ other side of the roof with a dark colour like black and it will reflect the temp alot up to 15 degress cooler i'm not sure if this would work or this guy was making up alot of rubbish.

It's werid what paint can do.. :wink:

DIY
Thu Oct 05, 2006, 10:34 AM
MAC

Thanks for the info MAC, maybe I'll paint then cover with foam to be sure :wink: