PDA

View Full Version : Bedding in sand substrate

stardotstar
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 12:26 PM
Hi all,

I am starting to setup my 125Gallon 5' setup and have chosen white sand as the substrate for a minimalist, unplanted aquarium.

I was advised to ensure that the sand was well mixed in to avoid pockets or bubbles which can form toxic compounds later on.

Having thoroughly washed the sand and ensured that it did not change the chemistry over the course of a week in a sample bucket I have added the sand in bucket loads to my empty tank and then added water.

My wife suggested I add the sand once there is water in the tank because I was mentioning the importance of getting all the air out of it.

What i did was get the water level well above the sand and used my hand to agitate it and get as much of it as possible suspended in the water as I went thoroughly from one end of the tank to the other. The tank was basically fizzling and hissing with schwepervesence at first but after several turns the sand seems to have settled.

Is this going to be ok or do I need to do something more?

I will let the cloudiness settle and will fill and condition the tank before starting my filter once the temperature is stable. The tank will sit with 80L in it overnight with the air stones agitating it before I continue the filling process.

The last run I did through the sand was to make an attempt to aqua-scape it with a raking effect toward the rear which I have always done with my gravel.

Looks great. I'll post pics once I have clearer water :)
Advice and opinions appreciated.

Will
UPDATE: I am reading that H2S will only become a problem when the substrate is very deep and organic material is in it to create the gas... In an unplanted tank with sand that is only 1-2" deep and well maintained I am guessing I won't have a problem.

Some links:

http://www.fishinthe.net/html/section-viewarticle-50.html
http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1424

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 04:05 AM
I think if you just keep the sand stirred up with regular gravel vacuuming, you won't have any trouble.

Sand substrate is light and easy to vacuum.

wickedglass
Tue Oct 03, 2006, 09:59 AM
another suggestion would be to lay down a substrate heater. they're really low power consumption and the warmth from the wire prevents buildup of anerobic toxins because the heatflow will encourage water flow through the sand.
I don't have those in my sand tanks anymore, so I do it by hand, like ladyred said.

fish_r
Wed Oct 04, 2006, 03:06 PM
if u dont have any plants in there just run a fork through the sand every week or two and u will be fine...

stardotstar
Sat Oct 07, 2006, 10:55 AM
Cool, thanks - it has settled in very well and proves to be easier to keep clean than I expected - the plecos do an amazing job at night!

Syphoning/vacuuming is a little difficult since it does tend to want to grab some of the sand when it gets stirred up.

The Stradbroke Island sand has been no trouble though so far.