PDA

View Full Version : new spawns

samir
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
the red melons i got last mont spawned yesterday. also some pics of the marlboro pair, nice looking fish but notorious egg eaters.

the_oracle
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 07:43 PM
Cool spawn, bro............
Bout the notorious egg-eater, maybe you can cover the eggs up with mesh wire. But make sure the male has fertilised the eggs before you do that....................

Sanie.

aquaholic
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 10:31 PM
Nice looking fish dude
I caged my eggs last month with great succses.i made a tripod cone with gutter guard and cable ties.

cheers andrew

samir
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:21 AM
i'll give them a few more spawns before caging. they dont eat the eggs immediately but after about 30 hours because of low fertilisation. if they get more fertilised eggs i'm positive they wont eat them.

geo/discus breeder
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
i dont get if you have a pair that eat the eggs if you cage them won't they just eat the babies

and dont the eggs need to be tended buy the parants

how many people have had sucsess with caging the eggs

the_oracle
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 05:01 PM
geo,
You caged the eggs so as to prevent the parents from eating them. But you have to be sure that the eggs were fertilised before caging. The parents will still tend to the eggs. They will fan the eggs and thus keeping fresh and oxygenated water flowing to the eggs. An egg eater doesn't mean baby eater.......If they still eat the babies, you have no choice but to take out the one that is eating the babies. You can still raise the juvs with only one parent.........

Sanie.

geo/discus breeder
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
thats really interesting i thoght if they eat the eggs they would eat the parants

if they are furtile would putting a bubeler near/running over the eggs on low incrise furtility rate

geo/discus breeder
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:17 AM
thats really interesting i thoght if they eat the eggs they would eat the parants

if they are furtile would putting a bubeler near/running over the eggs on low incrise furtility rate

nicholas76
Fri Sep 29, 2006, 05:46 AM
Lovely fish as usual mate.

can I ask though are these confirmed? coz with my red melons I found the fish with white faces were all female. A genetic wonder!

infact I never had a male with a white face.

curious to see if its diffrent with yours bud.

samir
Tue Nov 21, 2006, 06:32 AM
this post's a bit late, but yes the pair is now confirmed, and i consider myself pretty lucky because the other two were female and i've seen about 20 white faced reds since and the've all turned out female. :?