PDA

View Full Version : Artificially reared fry

samir
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 06:38 AM
fed on rotifers, now about 7 day free swimming.

samir
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 06:39 AM
now eating frozen bbs.

dachoo
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 07:19 AM
Samir
That a interesting way, floating fry tank. Looking at the pho. does the smaller tank move around. Congra..

DA

Nathan
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:07 AM
just curious as to what the purpose of havn the tank floating in the other?

*Chris*
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:18 AM
keeping them in a smaller tank restricts the space they have to swim
it may keep them a tad warmer too because the air is in contact with something before the water reducing the amount the water fluctuates???????
samir confirm will ya dude LOL
EXAI

Nathan
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:20 AM
or perhaps he doesnt have a heater small enough?

samir
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:25 AM
to prevent fluctuations in temp during wc and by putting a heater directly in such a small tank, also the fry were put there at wriggler stage and didnt want them sticking to the heater and suction etc. hence they all hung around the filter and so did the rotifers :D . oh and the tank wont move if there's no current in the outside tank.
you guys posted before me :lol: i have a heater small enough and EXAI is right :D

Nathan
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:47 AM
thats good thinkn, so what do the parents look like?

samir
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 08:48 AM
BD. i only have one working pair atm

*Chris*
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:02 AM
so i am not blond after all LOL

marg
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 10:40 AM
Hey that's enough of the Blonde Jokes EX.A1 :lol: :lol: :lol:

*Chris*
Fri Sep 22, 2006, 11:19 AM
LOL
i would have lost my head if it were not screwed on this week Ladyred can vouch for that she has witnessed my lack of intelligence a few times this week
LOL

mtchye
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 02:10 AM
What type of rotifers were you using? Did you culture them yourself? They look like they are doing great!

Ben
Sat Sep 23, 2006, 03:30 AM
Well done Samir!

Something i wanted to try but never had the time to do!

geo/discus breeder
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:27 PM
were did you get the rotifers from
are they live if they are how do you look after them
did you feed them rotifers because the parants eat the eggs

samir
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 03:58 PM
the parents dont eat the eggs, its the other pair that does that. they were live and were being fed on chlorella paste, i forgot about them for a couple of days and now the're dead. i need to work on keeping the culture alive. the fry part was easy. next time i'll try the hikari frozen . i'm too lazy for cultures and stuff.

Ben
Sun Sep 24, 2006, 09:59 PM
Samir post up your results after you tried the frozen rotifers. I would be very interested to compare.

geo/discus breeder
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 12:11 AM
can you get frozen rotifers from any lfs cos the 2 nere me dont have them

do the fry eat the frozen rotifers

samir
Mon Sep 25, 2006, 07:24 AM
hikari has frozen rotifers, i think they are the saltwater kind. i dunno if they will eat them, they sure ate the live freshwater ones.
Ben I removed them when they hatched. 100% survival rate :shock: :shock: :shock: didn't expect that. they started eating bbs in 5 or 6 days i think. I hope the frozen ones work as well, they do seem much larger so I'm not that optimistic. Lim & Wong (the guys that did the research) got 95% and 70% survival as opposed to 85% with parent reared. Survival for dwarf gourami fry (day 2-12) was rotifers 92.3% vs egg yolk 58%. I'll let you know next week (when i remove the cone from a couple of angry egg munching reds :lol: )