PDA

View Full Version : See through divider or not?

DIY
Fri Sep 15, 2006, 08:47 AM
Maybe a silly question, but I have a breeding tank setup with an acrylic divider. Currently it is a solid white divider and not see-through.

pic is in this post - http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9085

I'm considering adding a second pair to the tank, will a see-through divider help or hinder spawning?

would being able to see the another male/female induce spawning due to "competition" (like adding a second male to a breeding pair) - or maybe it could distract / put them off?

Merrilyn
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:51 PM
Definately not a silly question.

It's been tried successfully both ways.

I rather like your idea of the non see through divider. Some males become so distracted with defending their territory from the male on the other side of the divider, that they forget to do their job, and the eggs are infertile.

the_oracle
Tue Sep 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
With the see-through, they will somehow get distracted and they'll tend to neglect what they're supposed to be doing..............
It's best you get the non-see through divider. Better still, get an individual breeding tank cos sometimes they get a lil bit shock and tend to bump the walls of the tank and the neighbour will get shocked unexpectedly.

geo/discus breeder
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 09:56 AM
were did you get the acrylic from

DIY
Mon Oct 02, 2006, 10:22 AM
A small factory in Taunton Drv moorabbin called menzel trading. they are close & handy and don't mind cutting & selling smaller pieces.

There's plenty of places around that sell acrylic search in the yellow pages under "plastics" and you should find somewhere close to you - just ring em first to make sure they will sell small pieces (as opposed to a whole sheet). I had one even closer about a year ago that let me rummage in their "scrap bin" for freebies on a saturday morning but they have dissapeared :evil: