PDA

View Full Version : 2x MH + 2x T5 OR 4x T5

jim
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 02:21 AM
Hi guys,

Just need your pro suggestion. I am looking for new lights for my 4 ft tank.

There are 2 types of lighting I wanna get on the market..
2x MH + 2x T5
or 4x T5

I am very worry that the MH will consume a lot of power and increase my electric bill by a lot (I might turn off 2xT5 and just run the 2x MH)~~~That's why I am also looking at 4xT5 unit as well

It is going to be large difference between the 2 units?? thanks...

Also, for those who have this kind of lighting~~~ do you have glass to cover the tank?? I am just worry my discus or other fish might jump~~ :-(

SLS
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 03:01 AM
How heavily do you intend to plant the tank?

T5's or Power Compacts may be the best and most efficient option.

rainbow
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 03:39 AM
Jim, If your going to do a 4ft tank with MH, I presume it must be 120 x 60 x 60cm (4ft x 2ft x 2ft) or more. If it is smaller, then you will be fine with either t5's, compact fluor's or even multiple t8's would do the job. What alot of people don't realise initially is that multiple t5's and or multiple compact fluoro's add up to alot of wattage. Sometimes more than the equivalent 2 x 150w MH option. For outright bang for your bucks, Ii takes more than 150w of t5's, t8's or compact fluoros to match a 150w MH in overall lighting intensity. That's why metal halide lighting is the most efficient, followed by t8's and comes t5's and compact fluoro's.

shewey
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 04:53 AM
Hi Jim,

I about to go with 4xT5 on my 4 foot x 20inch x 20inchand I think that will be heaps of light for me to grow pretty much everything.

I agree with rainbow about only going with the MH if you have a 4x2x2. If you have a look at the specs on a lot of the entries in the ADA comp, most of the 3 and 4 foot entries are using T5's.

Cheers,
Mark

jim
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys...I do have a 4x2x2....so that's why I am not sure which one to pick~~~

My tank came with standard 3x fluoros...I think it's not enough for my planted tank...My tank is quite heavily planted I think~~~

The reason I wanna change is...I always like to have lots of short plants ..but they never servive....

jim
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 12:26 PM
This is my tank~~~

rainbow
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 03:52 AM
120 x 60 x 60cm. You really have a few choices then and it depends what you want to acheive. If you want absolute maximum lighting that will shock your discus (atleast at 1st anyway) then 2 x 150w MH is the way to go. However, you have not said this is what you want, so you could easily choose any of the other options. Look at what lighting units is available and what is going to look good asthetically. However your hood is fully covered, so asthetics of the lighting unit is not going to be very important in your case.

JohnnyH
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 05:32 PM
i myself have got a 4x2x2 tank same as yours. I however previously had the tank set up as a reef, so i had my MH lighting fixture all ready to go..... yes ..... it does scare the fish... for a while..... but they get used to it and they look stunning in the tank. i have got two 250 watt bulbs... so yes its quite bright. The water ripples look beautiful in the tank, and the plant growth is rather rapid.

Nathan
Thu Sep 14, 2006, 06:21 AM
i myself have got a 4x2x2 tank same as yours. I however previously had the tank set up as a reef, so i had my MH lighting fixture all ready to go..... yes ..... it does scare the fish... for a while..... but they get used to it and they look stunning in the tank. i have got two 250 watt bulbs... so yes its quite bright. The water ripples look beautiful in the tank, and the plant growth is rather rapid.

sounds awesome, got any pics?? :)