PDA

View Full Version : My water!!

rvdbarnes
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 10:55 AM
Hi all

Im still wrestiling with getting my water spot on, but im still at the stage of being able to accuratly know, what iv got before i start tweeking it!!

Iv got a digital thermometer and pH meter now which is helping.
So now im trying to find out about the GH and KH of my water, the test kit i have bought is.....well....c**p!
So iv just downloaded a water report from my local water board.

It says the pH averages 7.96

And in the summary says that the water is generally soft.

It also says that the average Magnesium content is 2.5 and the average Calcium content is 5.125 giving an average total hardness of 9.25, Is this the GH? KH?

Im so baffled by it all!!!

AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!!! :shout:

Lee

DR.V
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:16 PM
Test the water yourself from the tap.

Dont rely on the reports.

What important is getting your water stable rather than "right".

HTH

FishLover
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:26 PM
I read that in Practical Fish Keeping Mag last month. In some part of UK, the water companies were able to keep the pH high with soft water. They add something to the water to increase the pH. It will not keep the pH high for a long period. All you have to do is aging your water a bit (24 hours or plus) and you will have your soft and low pH water. No need to tweek the pH with other things.

This maybe your case. Try to test the same water right out of the tap, then test it again after 6, 24 and 48 hours. That will give you a good idea of your true pH readings and how to prepare it for your Discus. Good luck.

rvdbarnes
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the comments guys

The breeder im getting my discus from currently keeps them at

30 c
GH 3
pH 6.5

So i really want to match these parameters, the tank is already 3 years established so ammonia, nitrate/ite etc are all in line.
Iv now got my temps up to 30 and my current pH is about 7.4/5 so i want to get this down more.
Will i be ok gradually bringing it down with a pH down additive?
should i add it to the water changes?? or to the main tank?

Lee

Ben
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:31 PM
What important is getting your water stable rather than "right".

I could not agree more! :D

FishLover
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:42 PM
Lee, as I said, try to age your water and you may get your result. I would avoid to use any additive first.

Some UK water companies were able to increase their pH without increase the hardness of their water for a short period, just enough to reach your tap. I guess they are trying to avoid the acid eating into their water pipes. Not sure if this is your case or not but it sure worth a try before using and additives.

rvdbarnes
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 01:54 PM
I see what your saying...

Another option i have is that the breeder also gives the option of the discus being adapted to the water conditions of the tank its going to which would probably be easier for me!!

Maybe worth considering

Lee

FishLover
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 02:04 PM
If in fact your water company is doing this (the ony way to be sure is test your water at different time), you will have a wide pH swing everytime you change your water. It will shoot up after the water change, then come down with in few hours. That pH swing is really bad for your discus. The only cure is to age your water in this case.

Lot of people here age their water anyway.

rvdbarnes
Fri Sep 01, 2006, 02:31 PM
yeah i think i will take a couple of gallons and test it immediatly, after 12 hrs, 24hrs and 48hrs and see what results i get.

I think ageing my water is going to be the best plan in any case.
If i fill up the container one day and use it in 7 days, then keep doing the same over and over, then i should be topping up with 7 day aged water everytime then.....

Lets see how my pH readings appear over 48hrs.

If it doesnt fluctuate much, would you say the pH here must be pretty stable?

thanks for all this help

Lee