PDA

View Full Version : Are you able to lie co2 cylinder down?

Nathan
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:20 AM
well as the topic asks, are you able to lie your pressurised co2 cylinder down, or will this pose hazzards an may reduce efficiency?

the reason im asking is that my cabinet is about 10cm to low to fit it under so would i be able to lie it down under there?

DR.V
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:21 AM
When you have it running, keep it at upright position !!!

Hmm it doesnt fit in your cabinet ? How about put it outside your cabinet ? look ugly tho...

See what others say.

Nathan
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:23 AM
thats the problem i have is its kind of an eye saw on the outside of the tank.

so wont be able to run it lying down?

Mulisha
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:30 AM
People that have to put them outside the cabinet usally put a potted fern in front of them.

goodluck

TomNS
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:51 AM
put a longer hose on it and put it in a cupboard around the corner

Don't lie it down, I was always told that they are to be kept upright - all cyl including oxygen, aargon, acetaline (sp?)

Tom

DR.V
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 08:52 AM
You can run it lying down, but I dont think it will be safe.

Sime76
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:48 AM
so wont be able to run it lying down?

God NO!

DR.V
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 09:56 AM
put a longer hose on it and put it in a cupboard around the corner

Don't lie it down, I was always told that they are to be kept upright - all cyl including oxygen, aargon, acetaline (sp?)

Tom

I guess that would be the safest option !

Nathan
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:09 AM
i dont have another cupboard near it, o well i was just curious as to whether it was safe or not to lie it down, guess not!

TomNS
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 10:31 AM
well what is in the room behind the fish tank ? punch a hole through the wall and feed the hose through and re-locate,

Can you get under the house ? through the floor in the garage?
out the external wall to beside the house ?

There are always options :D

Tom

Phlipper
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 01:24 PM
Well I'm curious as to why you cant lie it down ? I cant see any reason why not except that the guages may get kicked and broken. When transporting high pressure cyclinders they are best layed down, and things like SCUBA tank cylinders are capable of being used at any angle including oxygen used by firemen . My vets emergency oxygen dispensing unit is operated lying on it's side.

I think the only reason most people operate them vertically is to save floor space, it's usually just more convenient. To my knowledge the only pressurised cylinder that must be operated vertically is Acetylene as used for welding, as Acetylene is in liquid form.

My opinion may not be right, but the best thing to do is ring the local pressurised gas bottle dispenser like CIG, BOC or similar and ask to be sure.

Proteus
Tue Aug 29, 2006, 01:47 PM
According to BOC, C02 cylinders must be stored and used in an upright position.

It is also worth noting, when you see a BOC truck, the cylinders lying down in the racks are empty, the full ones are upright (towards the front of the truck)

pbates
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 01:49 AM
CO2 at atmospheric pressure only exists in its gas and solid (Dry Ice) phases.

When under pressure CO2 can form a liquid. This is what is inside your CO2 tank. The top of the tank will be gas and the bottom liquid.

The gas regulator attached to your CO2 bottle is only designed to work with gases. If liquid gets into it, bad things can happen.
Best case is that it stops working, worst is that it dumps the entire CO2 bottle into the tank.

Its preferable to transport the tanks upright, but you can transport them sideways if you remove the regulator. I'd let it sit upright for a few hours before reconnecting the regulator though.

spudly
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 04:19 AM
I have a BOC VT cylinder and have the same problem. I've laid it down for years with no problem. You are not supposed to do this though, so if you do it it's at your own risk. As someone stated it's because the CO2 is in a liquid form in your Cylinder.

Rob

Jadels
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 05:33 AM
What about if u kinda wedged it in.. but on a lean like a 45 degree angle.. IMO this would mean that the liquid would still stay at the bottom, the gas at the top, so no mixing there and its not eye sore?

Phlipper
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 12:17 PM
I think it would be wise to ask the professionals at BOC about that :idea:

SandyLynne
Wed Aug 30, 2006, 08:35 PM
I work for Wormald Fire and certainly recommend that your store them upright.

On our material safety data sheet for CO2 extinguishers we recommend to store in cool, dry well ventilated area out of direct sunlight and away from heat and ignition sources. Do not expose any cylinder part to temperatures above 55° C. store upright on a level, fireproof floor, secure in position and protected from damage.