PDA

View Full Version : Spawn in Community Tank

oscar
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 09:53 AM
I have a Female Blue Diamond and male Blue Turq spawning in my 8foot community tank right now. :D

The female is a new addition and has been in the tank about a week and a half.

I want to leave them to it, and i'll post pics hopefully tomorrow...that's if they haven't eaten them.

Absolutely stoked.

DR.V
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:52 AM
Quick ! Setup a breeding tank for them ^^

Mulisha
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't you let them spawn a few times first to make there bond very strong then move them? Or am i wrong :oops: :oops:

Nathan
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 12:32 PM
Wouldn't you let them spawn a few times first to make there bond very strong then move them?

thats generaly what people do, it helps them learn how to protect the eggs an as u said gives them a stronger bond, an once your confident that theyve got the hang of it then id setup your breeding tank

oscar
Mon Aug 28, 2006, 10:17 PM
Oh well. Someone had caviar for dinner/breakfast.

I plan to let them have a few goes at it before moving them to a spare 36x18x18 tank that i have.

It'll also give the small tank a bit of time for the filter to cycle etc.

oscar
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 09:26 AM
Well...

Came home from work today and spawn #2 was there.

Fed them.

Came back later...all gone.

I'm not sure if the parents are eating them, or if something else in the tank is getting them as they don't seem to protect them very well.

I know this is normal, but is there anything i can do? I don't want to be near the tank once i find eggs as my discus are madly keen feeders so they leave the eggs alone. Problem is i want everything else in the tank to be well fed so they are less inclined to go for the eggs.

I will be moving them to their own tank shortly, but letting them have a few goes where they are. How many spawns in the community tank should i give them?

DR.V
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 10:34 AM
Hmm definitely need a breeding tank ^^

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:09 AM
DR.v I beg to differ but moving them to a breeding tank would not be the best approach IMO .. They need to learn how to protect the eggs first to make their bond stronger .. :P

Oscar, are there any BN or plecos in the tank? Perhaps some cory's? These will often eat the discus eggs at night .. ( I had that problem before :( )

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:11 AM
Also DR.V, why do you place to little things like these ^^ on the end of alot of your posts? What does it mean .. :) :?:

Mulisha
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 11:14 AM
Also DR.V, why do you place to little things like these ^^ on the end of alot of your posts? What does it mean .. :) :?:

I'm guessing his just refering to the above post instead of quoting all the time :lol:

oscar
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 09:33 PM
This spawn was done during the day, and the eggs were eaten somewhere between 1700hrs and 1830hrs.

McLoughlin, i have a slight bent for cats so the community tank has the following:

Peppermint Bristlenose
Albino Bristlenose
Normal Bristlenose
L168's
Sterbai Cories
Albino Sterbai Cories
Brochis Splendens

As wells as a fist full of different tetra's, golden gouramis, dennison barbs.

I have my suspicions on where the trouble comes from, however that is somewhat irrelevant. Removing undesirable elements form the community tank won't teach them to protect their eggs (although it may make it easier). I might as well move them straight into their own tank.

I'll be patient for a while.

mcloughlin2
Wed Sep 06, 2006, 09:46 PM
Oscar, give them another go at laying in the community tank :twisted: , then move them to their breeding setup ...

Im sure it is your cats that would be eating the eggs though ... :)

DR.V
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 05:57 AM

I'm guessing his just refering to the above post instead of quoting all the time :lol:

No, its like making a face like ^_^ -> is that clearer ? lol

Heres a wink ^_-

mcloughlin2
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 06:06 AM
Ohh i thought that was it mate .. :oops: ..

DR.V
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 07:30 AM
DR.v I beg to differ but moving them to a breeding tank would not be the best approach IMO .. They need to learn how to protect the eggs first to make their bond stronger .. :P

Oscar, are there any BN or plecos in the tank? Perhaps some cory's? These will often eat the discus eggs at night .. ( I had that problem before :( )

Oh thats okay if anyone disagree.

IMO, whats more important is for them to practice raising the fry.

By moving them to a breeding tank, they would feel safer (less threat from other fish) and hopefully you will get some wrigglers.

Good luck anyway.

Mulisha
Thu Sep 07, 2006, 08:11 AM
(-.-) LOL

Good luck with whatever you do if choose to move them they may rasie wrigglers and if you leave them they can practice 8-)

oscar
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 07:31 AM
3rd time lucky?

They've spawned again.

Time to play the waiting game.

DR.V
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 07:47 AM
Can we have a picture this time ? :D

oscar
Tue Sep 12, 2006, 08:05 PM
They were still protecting the eggs this morning. Noticed a couple of white ones.

Female (Blue Diamond) has gone extremely dark. Similar to second image in this thread (hope it works) - http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8995

Will take pics whn i get home this afternoon...if they're still there.

I don't expect them to get it right this time, but i'm really happy to see an improvement. This is by far the longest they've kept the eggs so far.

oscar
Wed Sep 13, 2006, 08:55 PM
All gone yesterday afternoon when i got home.

It wasn't a win but still a vast improvement on previous efforts.

I'll ask them to do it on a weekend next time so i'm around to take pics...:)