PDA

View Full Version : foreplay

azzakat
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:25 AM
I've been keeping discus for about 6 months now and have a proven pair that
have been going through pre-spawning behaviour (in their own 2ft tank)
on and off for about 10 weeks now. My problem is they haven't
spawned for me at all, they go through the pre-spawning behaviour
but that's it. I have contacted the breeder that i bought them from and she said
I have been doing everything right and doesn't know why they haven't spawned and also has no more advice for me.
please help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Mulisha
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:32 AM
I have heard from many previous posts one way to triggers spawning is to do a large w/c and add cooler water to the tank only like a couple of degress cooler and that sometimes triggers them. One other thing is feed them a varied diet full of high proteins.

Good Luck mate maybe a picture of the pair as well :wink:

azzakat
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:41 AM
I have been doing the cooler water changes and giving them a good amount of bloodworm after the water change as instructed by the breeder
but still no luck :cry: this is why the breeder has no more advice for me as this is what she does and had done with this pair with great success.

Nathan
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 07:56 AM
what are all your water parameters, an what exactly was the pre spawning behaviour?

as mulisha said a varied diet is a must just with keeping discus let alone breeding them, are you feeding them anything else apart from bloodworms?

should also try an get live brine shrimp or other live foods which u kno that dont have diseases.

azzakat
Wed Aug 02, 2006, 08:07 AM
what are all your water parameters, an what exactly was the pre spawning behaviour?

as mulisha said a varied diet is a must just with keeping discus let alone breeding them, are you feeding them anything else apart from bloodworms?

should also try an get live brine shrimp or other live foods which u kno that dont have diseases.Temp 30
PH 6.5
was told by the breeder that the water is soft in our area so i dont test for this.

Pre spawning behaviour includes
shimmying and shaking
bright vivid colour in the fish specially the eyes
they tend to go from the black colour as in the pic i have included to a golden colour and also the famous bow.

other food i also feed to the is the tetra bits and discus dinner

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the forum azzacat and to the frustrating world of breeding discus :P

You certainly have a proven pair, and they are reinforcing their bond by their courting rituals, so it's just a matter of time.

Discus do go through a spell of not breeding, a rest period if you like. In the wild they don't breed all year 'round. It's a seasonal thing, and in between they have long spells of not laying eggs.

I think your pair are just going through a natural cycle, and will begin laying soon. With discus, it's very much a waiting game.

Just keep doing all the things you have been doing. With daily water changes, and several protein meals a day, they'll soon be back breeding again.

Do get some test kits. You need to know the hardness, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of your tank.

Good luck.

azzakat
Mon Aug 07, 2006, 06:17 AM
thanks for the feedback ladyred