PDA

View Full Version : How do you induce spawning?

Nathan
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 12:47 PM
as the title states im wondering an wanting to know how to induce spawning?

im doing daily water changes of about 10% an putting water back into the tank thats a few degrees cooler then of the water in the tank.

my water params are fine, just wondering if theres anything else i can do?

pikeman
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:07 PM
from how you induce spawning in guppies etc.. i would say it is about the same with discus
heavy feeding
water changes
temp up

mcloughlin2
Fri Jul 28, 2006, 01:15 PM
from how you induce spawning in guppies etc.. i would say it is about the same with discus
heavy feeding
water changes
temp up

Pretty much all you can do ....

A drop of temperature is probably the best bet ....... :)

Nathan
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 05:02 AM
drop the whole tank temp?

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 05:18 AM
You could try the Miracle leaves (Catappa) from Ben at AOA.

What age are they? Maybe they are just not ready yet.

I can get them to spawn O.K., my problem is that they either guard the Eggs for a few days or else the Eggs Fungus over :evil: .

If they're in the Community tank they spawn, get to wriggler stage, then get eaten by everyone else.

Drives me nuts!!

marg.

Nathan
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 05:34 AM
there about 18 months old. They are a proven pair, i got them about 2 weeks ago, perhaps they are still settling in? im just curious on how some people try to get them to spawn.

What do the miracle leaves do?

revkev
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 06:28 AM
Keeps the ph at about 6.5 stop the eggs getting fungus & may get your fish to spawn. I do a 20 ltr water change every day on a 3ft tank and the cold water idea works on my fish.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/leaves3.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/leaves2.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/leaves1.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e341/revkev77/leaves.jpg

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 06:32 AM
Nathan if you have only had them 2 weeks give them time!

They would be settling into their tank at this point in time.

The whole key to this Discus "habit" is patience.

Once they have settled in and are ready, then maybe you'll see some action.

marg.

Robdog
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 06:58 AM
To induce any of my fish to spawn I tell them that I am going on holiday in a weeks time. They normally get the message and start cleaning things, shimmering at each other, do dummy runs on things throughout the tank.

Sometimes they get confused and start to show disease symptoms. They can tell I'm going to the snow tomorrow and they don't want to be without their water changes.

They don't fool me!(famous last words) :roll:

marg
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:14 AM
O.K. Revkev, I will drop the PH to 6.5 (it is currently 6.8 in my "Pretend" breeding tanks), and see if that works.

All of my pairs are in barebottomed tanks with a sponge filter and a corner box filter in each.

One pair are currently guarding a clutch of Fungussed eggs (male does the attack every time I go anywhere near the tank, the big D.H.). I feel like swishing the eggs away, but have left them there thinking maybe he's starting to care about them a bit instead of eating them even though I know he'll eventually give up and clean them up.

Just annoys me - she is a really pretty Pearl Pigeon (no Peppering) and he is a reasonably nice red Marlboro - good shape but has some peppering.

I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

marg.

Nathan
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 07:58 AM
i kno but i hate waiting, anyway thanx for the help, still curious as to what the miracle leaves do to the water?

so how often should i be doin W/C? an how much % of the tank should i do an what should the temp of the tank be an the water i put in the tank be?

revkev
Sat Jul 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
Ketapang or Indian Almond or Terminalia catappa leaves are known to most, if not all Asian breeders of blackwater tropical fishes, to be one of the best water conditioners to promote healing and breeding. They are known to have antibacteria and antifungal properties. Bettas are known to be induced to spawn by just putting a few of the leaves into their tub. Fish suffering finrot or injuries (such as spawning injuries) will definitely benefit from having the leaves in their quarantine tub. But they can be used for the usual aquariums too.

Dosage: For bettas, put a 1-2 sq inch piece (or a quarter of a leaf) into each 1 gallons (4 litre) jar. For usual aquarium (with tetras, gouramis, arrowanas, apistos etc), put 2-3 leaves per 25 gallons (100 litres) of water for 14-21 days. Simply put the leaves into the aquarium. After 1-2 days the leaves will be water-logged and sink. Apart from their benefical effects on the water, they will tan the water slightly (to a clear amber) and provide a very natural stream-bottom look to your aquarium. Alternatively, you can boil the leaves to make blackwater extract and dose when you need. Soaking the leaves in a bucket for a week will produce a similar result
Found this on the net :wink:

Nathan
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 08:54 AM
oh wow thanx for the info kev, just need to work out where i can get these?

anyone kno if any online sponsor stocks them? or if any shops have them in melbourne?

marg
Sun Jul 30, 2006, 11:45 AM
Ben at Age of Aquarius - go to the Classified Section.

marg.

Robdog
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 09:04 AM
Does anyone know if these are available anywhere in Sydney???

Dee
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 10:14 AM
Hi All,

My pair (still young) seem to enjoy a good feed of BW or BS and 50%WC with aged water 2degrees lower in temp to get them going. My ph sits around 6.8ish in tank and 7.2ish out of the tap.

Cheers,

Dee :D

samir
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 12:08 PM
Rob you dont need it. you shouldn't have any probs with sydney water.

Robdog
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 12:59 PM
I'm a big fan of gimmicks tho

samir
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 02:59 PM
Rob i dont think its value for money @10 a packet, if you really must an alternate would be peat from flower power, then again i've tried with and without peat and it does not make a difference. the miracle leaf packets come from Singapore http://www.qianhu.com/

Robdog
Thu Sep 21, 2006, 03:24 PM
I don't trust that peat from Bunnings or nurseries. I tried the Killarney Peat and it did jack for my water. I'm sticking with the Sera Super Peat. Lasts a fair while and cheap thru APW.

Just looking at something a bit different