PDA

View Full Version : black mutations

Mattzilla
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 03:54 AM
came accross these pics on the net.

blue diamonds with some black mutations. never seen them before.

anyone know anythig about this type of colouration...or are the pictures fake?

cheers

Nathan
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 03:57 AM
the pictures dont look fake, unless theyve done a great job on photoshop.

but IMO they looks pretty gross, look like they have some poisoning or infection, not my type of colourations.

Proteus
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 03:58 AM
sadly it looks like dye to me...

otherwise genetics gone wrong

samir
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 04:02 AM
there's a post somewhere on this forum where someone's discus suddenly turned black near the face.

musichocmilkshake
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 05:26 AM
That's diabolical!

goldenpigeon
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 06:17 AM
i think it could be dyed because the fish in the first pic has a parrot head but the fish is more oval shaped (naturally) and usually fish that develope a higher body as a rusult of high fat diet get a parrot head. the parroting is only just infront of the eyes which is soft tissue and when dyed the fish got a bacterial infection which ate away the tissue infront of the eye resulting in parroting. if it hadnt had the infection the forehead would just have a clean curve down.

i could be wrong thoagh. thats just a guess BTW lol

nicholas76
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 06:18 AM
Guys

some FYI that might relate to this.

in Andrew Soh's book Page 36 to be specific he mentions that "half black" Discus are caused by sudden environmental shock, which is generally related to water temperature fluctuation, not Ph shock.

e.g. a fish keeper conducts a 100% water change using cold tap water.

Apart from the way it looks the fish is still healthy.

Dee
Sat Jul 22, 2006, 07:23 AM
Guys

some FYI that might relate to this.

in Andrew Soh's book Page 36 to be specific he mentions that "half black" Discus are caused by sudden environmental shock, which is generally related to water temperature fluctuation, not Ph shock.

e.g. a fish keeper conducts a 100% water change using cold tap water.

Apart from the way it looks the fish is still healthy.

Heya Nick,

I was just about to say the same thing ;) Andrew Soh states that, that sort of discolouration can happen from Temp shock. There have also been posts and info around the forums saying that this can also be a result of the fish darting into the glass or whatever and that discolouration being the result for a short time (few days to a week). The theory is that the fishes "colour" nerve is damaged for a short time and that all will go back to normal. IMO it is not from dyeing the fish, but thats JMHO.

Cheers,

Dee. :)

G-1000
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 12:32 AM
Shiafulah's book called Penang Discus has pictures of this.

They are referred to as "half moon" discus. Supposedly quite the thing in the late 80's or something.

G

nicholas76
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 12:35 AM
Hey G,

yeah heard of those ,,, i wonder how those were developed.

A Cold dip or genetics hehe :P :D

Ben
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 03:05 AM
I saw a tank full of these guys in Singapore.

It might be caused from bacteria when an egg/wriggler.

kevkoi
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 11:17 AM
I've seen many tanks of juveniles like this in certain farms in Penang. Whatever it is, it's NOT GOOD. It is not intentional and it's not something to further encourage.

I avoid getting any fish from farms that show such symptoms on their juvenile fish.

mcloughlin2
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 12:04 PM
I've seen many tanks of juveniles like this in certain farms in Penang. Whatever it is, it's NOT GOOD. It is not intentional and it's not something to further encourage.

I avoid getting any fish from farms that show such symptoms on their juvenile fish.

Good to hear your not encouraging them kev...

Most shops that arnt decent jump on the chance to have a different variety of discus that hasnt been seen in shops before...

Nathan
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 12:14 PM
theres no way i would ever pay money for antyhing like that, i wouldnt even take em for free

piranha-discus
Sun Jul 23, 2006, 03:47 PM
hey nathan
i think its ok if u can get those fish for free
but just dont put them in a tank with healthy discus
to avoid spread disease etc, but id say , they look ugly for me
cheers ben