PDA

View Full Version : Discus spawned WOO HOO but problems...

scooba
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:20 AM
Hey guys

I currently have a mixed pair of discus that are in my breeding tank, they have spawned before and thats cool but i recently picked up some new fish at about 8-10cms, i haven't had them too long so after a stint in a quarantine tank i put them in with my other discus that i have been growing up smallest is about 6cm bigest about 8cm, anyways 2 of the new bigger ones have spawned on a pot that was in the tank so now my dilemma is; seeing as it is the first time they have spawned should i just leave them in there or should i try to move everything else out and risk that they will eat the eggs? another option is to try and divide the tank?

I just dont know, i wasn't expecting them to spawn as they are still very young.

Any ideas?

Regards
Steve

TeeFM
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:30 AM
I would suggest leave the new pair in your community/growing up tank for at least another couple of spawning before you move them into a breeding tank. By doing this, proper boning can be established. Trying to breed in a community tank is difficult though not impossible.

After all, congratulations!!

scooba
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:33 AM
Thanks, that was kinda of what i thought due to it taking a while for them to get it right and all.

Hopefully they continue to breed as out of all the different types of discus in the tank they are the same.

Merrilyn
Sat Jul 15, 2006, 01:03 PM
Congratulations scooba. They're well on the way, but let them practice a few more times, and by the time you're ready to put them in a breeding tank, they'll be excellent parents.

scooba
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 06:51 AM
Just thought i'd update this post, they are still caring for what is now wrigglers still have not eaten them, but with both parents being white i'm not too confident of them attaching due to both colour and this being the first time they have spawned.

We'll see what happens.

Steve

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:37 AM
Good luck, sounds like they'll make great parents in the future.

Try dimming the light on the tank. Makes white parents look a bit darker, and hopefully the fry will attach.

scooba
Mon Jul 17, 2006, 08:26 PM
thanks, i did the light thing with my male PB to get the fry to move to him when my last pair had fry, it will be interesting to see how far the get.

Steve

scooba
Wed Jul 19, 2006, 07:46 AM
well they have been wriggling for about 2 days now and moved spots on the pot twice so now i guess we will see shortly if they'll attach or not...

interesting

scooba
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 02:12 AM
didn't attach, all gone bar one

Merrilyn
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 01:17 PM
Sorry to hear that Scooba. It was a long shot, but sometimes it comes off.

They did well to get that far.

scooba
Fri Jul 21, 2006, 06:34 PM
yeah i know, i kinda figured it was worth a shot to see how far they'd get, hopefully it's a sign that they'll get the idea quickly.

steve

scooba
Tue Jul 25, 2006, 09:55 AM
well they laid again today so we will see if they get further this time i guess.