Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:54 PM
:)

Lee C
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:57 PM
:P

mcloughlin2
Sun Jun 11, 2006, 11:57 PM
Gota love the guppies!! 8-)

Especially good quality ones like those...

My favorite has to be the albino's in the first picture..... :P

Could you please post some information regarding your temperature, ph etc?

Maybe some more pic's of you actually breeding tanks?

Thanks

Sam

Lee C
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:01 AM
Albino 8-)

Lee C
Mon Jun 12, 2006, 12:09 AM
Gota love the guppies!! 8-)

Especially good quality ones like those...

My favorite has to be the albino's in the first picture..... :P

Could you please post some information regarding your temperature, ph etc?

Maybe some more pic's of you actually breeding tanks?

Thanks

Sam

ph is 7.6 and I have to add RO Right to my water to build up the PPM. They will enjoy "liquid rock".
Young fry temp 78F, adults 72 to 74F.
2 weekly water changes of fourty percent and alot of live baby brine shrimp!

sammigold
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 05:41 AM
Beautiful!!! Love the guppies!!! but you already know that! :-)

danielb
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:11 AM
I quite like Endler's Livebearers too, they are like mini guppies. Although the variety I have seem to be producing some swordtails now too :)

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:46 AM
Guppies rock my world !!

Thanks so much for sharing yours.

Awesome colours love the albino's and your rack's look fantastic.

Lee are the floating plants for saving the fry ?

If so thats the method I use and it beats traps by a mile IMO.

Daniel your endler is very nice and the photo is very clear.

Cheers,

Mark

danielb
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:49 AM
Daniel your endler is very nice and the photo is very clear.
Its not my photo, I wish I could take pictures like that but they are very sweat little fish. Although I'd imagine Endlers would become a fast moving protein snack in a discus tank!

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 08:55 AM
Although I'd imagine Endlers would become a fast moving protein snack in a discus tank!

Just make sure they are wormed and fed vitamized foods before allowing the discus to consume :shock:

Am I for real you bet !!

Cheers,

Mark

Lee C
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 12:36 PM
I tried the guppy with discus routine. The guppies do fine for a while and the discus usually can't catch them....too lazy and well fed.
Since the guppy temp. parameters are quite a bit less, they usually only live a couple months...then burn out.

Some of my adult guppies don't eat their fry. It is usually the red albinos and the gold albinos that eat the fry as quickly as they can pump them out. The floating plants may save a few, but the mesh trap in an empty tank is best.
I have attached a pic of one drop of Red Albino using the trap method.

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 01:27 PM
guppies: i was gona stick those (guppies, swordstails and molies) in my 265g tank until about 14 months ago, when my friend finally talked me into getting "some real fish" for my awesome tank....

the anoying part about livebearers was that they were always mating (irritating to watch) as to where discus glide slowly, much more relaxing... that's what made me switch...

Lee C
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 02:15 PM
Some folks don't have the time for all the waterchanges on discus which are extremely high maintenace(if you don't want them to get sick and want them to grow). They won't grow at all in a tank with gravel and plants. :x
Guppies are easy and the mating doesn't bother me at all.
My discus are mating all the time also! :P
All my fish are real, guppies, discus, geophagus, swords, platies, angels. :wink:

rytis
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 05:01 PM
They won't grow at all in a tank with gravel and plants. :x

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

let me see......

Lee C
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 05:27 PM
Guess I was refering to the skinny pigeon with the oversized eye in your avitar :P :x
Some will grow a little but the gravel will stunt most of them to less than full potential. That's is fact, not fiction :lol:
If I were doing a planted tank with discus, I would stock full grown ones only.
Gotta go, my guppies and discus are breeding again! :wink:

OscarManAlpha
Tue Jun 13, 2006, 11:30 PM
the anoying part about livebearers was that they were always mating (irritating to watch)

Terrible sex maniacs.......

Thank's Lee I was just joking about the feeding to the discus..

I also keep my Gups at lower temps..

And I totally agree about the raising in planted tanks....

I prefer to keep angels or fully adult discus in planted tanks.

Cheers,

Mark

rytis
Wed Jun 14, 2006, 02:46 AM
this advice i think i will definetely take (not to raise in planted tank...)

well if i do, i will be changing 50% water 2-3 times/week in a 500 liter heavily planted tank and not having more then 10-12 one-seven month old babies fishload, that should be an exception or no?

if not, then maybe just let them loose there occasionally for a week or so, depending on their behavior

Lee C
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:16 PM
rytis,
Get some Adult wild discus for your planted tank. They look better than the domestically bred in planted tanks.

Phlipper
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:43 PM
Ok, I"m curious.......why wont Discus grow at all in a planted tank with substrate, seems weird to me..........a friend of mine raised all his in a planted tank, 20 of them, and are all adult size ???

nicholas76
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:48 PM
Discus will and can grow in planted tanks with or without substrate.

Bare bottom tanks have clear benefits over planted tanks as you can moniter and keep your fish in a better conditioned environment................... hence you tend to get faster and better grow out.

both environments can produce good discus though :D !

danielb
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:52 PM
Thats good to know that you can raise young in a planted tank, how many daily feedings are required for a young discus?

nicholas76
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 01:56 PM
in terms of raising fry I would definetly recommend you do this in a bare bottom tank.

nothing worng in keeping and growing up young discus though!

in terms of feeding and water changing!! As much as you can!!!! in other words heaps.

Lee C
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 02:23 PM
Ok, I"m curious.......why wont Discus grow at all in a planted tank with substrate, seems weird to me..........a friend of mine raised all his in a planted tank, 20 of them, and are all adult size ???

It is a bacteria isuue which can rob the tank of saturated oxygen and also increase the ammonia.
The only way I could ever get them thicker, was in a bare bottom with sponge filters and a small h.o.t. wet dry. 25%/ day Wcs.
If you want to lower your frequency and percentages of water changes,
use an additional micron filter to attain particulates to below 10 ppm.
HTH