PDA

View Full Version : possible camallanus contamination

sharn
Mon Jun 05, 2006, 11:43 AM
:shock: found a fish with camallanus in one of my tanks the other day, the day before hand i had just cleaned that tank and then without washing anything, cleaned the discus tank :( now i have learnt my lesson and am getting seperate equip for each tank and a bucket to sterilise any nets in etc. i have read this is very contagious.

my question is- can i treat the discus tank as a precautionary? im getting levamisole from the vet asap and will treat the tank that had the fish with the worm (has since been moved to a quarentine), the discus tank, and the quarentine tank- i am unsure if the other tanks may have it but i will get enough to treat all my tanks (around 1000L or so) three times just to be sure, if i dont end up needing it all i have a few people who need some themselves but cant get it.

i have read a few dosages so far, and a few methods. it seems the 2mg/L and 1ml/7L are the most common. what percentage are they talking about also? i have read that you should do as bigger water change as poss after 24 hours doing a very through gravel siphon (sand in this case) to remove any worms/eggs on the bottom, but on doing searches on here it says leave it in for 3 days and then do a water change? i will do another treatment 3 weeks after the first treatment either way.

it seems to be early days for the other fish (no signs at all) but i want to get rid of this before it even has a chance to get bigger and damage my fish, all tanks have gone into quarentine to stop any further possible spreading and im just going to be hoping for the best, its bad enough having one tank with it, but the possibility of havign 5 with it scares me something big :(

also- how long on average does it take on average for the young to fall from the parent, (dont understand the next part about copepods or something) and then get into the fish and start producing its own young?

if its going to be too hard to eradicate in a planted tank is it worth me moving them to a BB to treat and leaving that tank emtpy for as long as possible? the discus are already in a BB so if they had any it would be easier to clean up.

i have already started feeding all fish on food soaked in febendazole, it hasnt worked on the angel i had about 4 months ago with camallanus (still alive in the quarentine), i am unsure why i didnt have an outbreak then but i figure with the feeding of febendazole and a dose of levamisole (or two) this will hopefully get everything under control. before i use the L and F together- it isnt going to harm the fish is it being used together?

thanks guys

*Chris*
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 12:54 AM
hi
these worms are tricky little buggers at work we have so many treatments for thr meds for these critters and although they seem to work usually the host fish ( the one who got it first ) seems to be the one that re infests the rest although as hard as it is to do the method is to knock the host on the head and treat the rest most of your meds for these things can make your fish sterile
cheers chris :D

sharn
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 02:02 AM
thanks for your reply :)

i really really hope this isnt going to make any of my fish sterile, while i dont want to breed them now i wouldnt mind if they did down the track :shock:

fortunatly i have been able to get my hands on some levamisole, its Avvarm (sp, thats what it sounded like anyway lol), and is a poultry wormer, its 24% also so im going to need help working out the dosages (maths isnt my strong point :lol: ). hopefully its not going to contain and glucose but ill check that tomorrow. any ideas on the dosage i am supposed to use?

i dont mind getting rid of the two host fish that i have now, while i cant bring myself to do it im sure i can find someone that can help me.

hopefully since ive removed the one fish that showed signs i will be able to knock it out for good.

is it worth me doing a 'just incase' dose on my discus? ive already started feeding them food with febendazole on it, along with the 'worm tank' so im hoping thats going to kill anything before it has a chance to start reproducing on me :?

edit- forgot to ask if anyone has any info on the 'ph needs to be below 7 to work'. my ph is sitting on 7.2 i think on the 'worm tank'

sharn
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 12:33 AM
anyone?

im going to start treatment tomorrow hopefully and my ph is above 7 (about 7.2)

sammigold
Fri Jun 09, 2006, 01:39 AM
I need to know this too as I will be treating a tank that has a PH of around 7....