PDA

View Full Version : New to discus...Size of fish to start with?

tbcha1
Wed May 31, 2006, 10:43 AM
Hello
i havent kept discus before and i was wondering whats the best size of discus to buy? is 3cm discus be hard for a beginner? Lastly is there a certain strain of discus that would be slightly hardier to keep?
thanks in advance
TC

bushie
Wed May 31, 2006, 10:50 AM
3 1/2 (inch) to 4 ( inch ) minimum

Bronx19
Wed May 31, 2006, 11:37 AM
Are you sure about that Bushie?

I thought the older they are the harder they find the acclimation process.

DR.V
Wed May 31, 2006, 12:03 PM
I would suggest young discus round about 5cm in body size.

Maybe wild discus would be harder to keep plus it would be quite expensive. As a beginner, try buy cheaper discus, maybe red turq or blue diamond ?

HTH

rsoares
Wed May 31, 2006, 12:19 PM
That's how I started as well (5cm ones) and if you're looking to keep them in a community tank, it helps them getting used to all of the fuss, from the start :)

Nathan
Wed May 31, 2006, 12:37 PM
i agree i started with juvinilles and i suggest blue diamond an other common strains, just because there common though doesnt mean there not beautiful so keep that in mind

tbcha1
Wed May 31, 2006, 01:00 PM
thanks for the replies
When you say 5cm is that head to tail?

DR.V
Wed May 31, 2006, 01:48 PM
Yes 5cm head to tail. Get 4 for a start. I assume you have a tank big enough for 4 juvie.

Good luck.

bushie
Wed May 31, 2006, 03:08 PM
I stand corrected. :(

maybe my measurements are out in switching to inches.
but I thought aprox. 8 cm tip of nose to tip of tail was about the best size to start with, aclimatize and group up together.

8cm = 3 1/2" doesn`t it.

but if the experts say 5cm then so be it.
I would of thought that to small. :o

sammigold
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:48 AM
I think I agree with bushie in a way... the reason being that If you are really new to discus or fishkeeping in general you are at the risk of growing stunted discus as they do require lots of feeding and lots of water changes... they may still look nice but may not grow to full potential.... 5cm is awfully small head to tail... I think about 8cm is a little safer that will still be a juvenile usually...(correct me if I am totally wrong someone!!)

mcloughlin2
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 05:28 AM
I agree with bushie. :P

A 5cm discus is very small and is not going to take changes very easy...

They're not as forgiving as a 3-4 inch discus IMO..
:wink:

tbcha1
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 09:11 AM
thanks for the reply guys. I end up getting a red turq around 8-10cm. Im planning to get more in the future just have to clear up some room in the tank first. Found the other fish in my 3ft community tank too competitive for the discus. He seems a bit too shy when its feeding time maybe he just need more time to adjust. Planning to just keep 3 clown loaches and australian rainbows with probably 4 discus in the end. Ill try to get more discus around 5-8cm size.

sammigold
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 11:31 AM
You will probably find that he settles better with some more friends.. discus prefer groups rather than being by themselves so the sooner you get him some mates the better.... Good Luck with your new discus!!!

DR.V
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 11:46 AM
I just prefer to buy smaller fish as I like to watch them grow to show the success of fishkeeping ^^

Good luck.

sammigold
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 12:27 PM
Dr V, I know where you are coming from as I recently purchased myself a couple of babies from crocky who were only the size of a 20-50cent piece and it has been wonderful watching them grow but they were not my first discus... I believe that if they were they may not be still here..lol I still have to put my updated photos up... it is interesting though One has grown heaps faster than the other...

bushie
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:26 PM
thanx for backing me up guys and girls,

for a second there I thought I was totally out of line. :oops:

in my years working in aquarium shops around oz, I found very small discus very hard to settle and keep in good health.
whereas slightly larger, but still juvenile discus seemed to settle in better and school up up with others better with much less stress and losses.

but in saying this I am only going on "aquarium shop" knowledge and not professional discus keepers knowledge as I have only just set up my second ever home discus tank.

therefore other discus keepers out there have far more experience than I,
and it is a good question that I too would value there professional opinions on.

thanx

BUSHIE

DR.V
Thu Jun 01, 2006, 01:29 PM
Sure no problem ^^

rytis
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 03:53 AM
Hello
i havent kept discus before and i was wondering whats the best size of discus to buy? is 3cm discus be hard for a beginner? Lastly is there a certain strain of discus that would be slightly hardier to keep?
thanks in advance
TC
i dont see why the size would matter, the concern i think should be how to set up a healthy tank for them and not to over crowd: its so much more relaxing to see a few happy then many over crowded as in prison...i have 2-4 in my 125g tank and 8 in my 265g tank

samir
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 06:02 AM
at least 5cm. it depends on how much you want to pay for them. if you're willing to pay a bit extra get something between 10-12 cm. if you're getting something thats a 20c piece you cant really tell what youre getting unless you see the parents or maybe know the breeder.

Crocky
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:01 AM
I started with 20 cent size and sell 20 cent size if not smaller.
The younger the better,you will learn more,you will able to buy 10 small ones to large one.
You will loss a couple a long the way but take my word for it,you will save yourself hundred of dollars if not thousand over the next few years.
Maybe even get a few pairs.

Brad

DR.V
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 07:08 AM
Thats what I mean to get smaller discus as a start.

If you never kept discus before, it would be wise to buy the cheapest healthy discus you can find, and mostly would small in size.

If they survive, then you can buy more beautifull ones which would be more expensive.

Most importantly, you must enjoy keeping them ^^

Good luck.

samir
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 08:03 AM
i still think they should not be got at that size.

mcloughlin2
Tue Jun 06, 2006, 09:47 PM
i still think they should not be got at that size.

Agreed... :P

Phlipper
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:16 AM
Well for my two cents worth, 5cm minimum size, and I would buy the nicest ones I could find if the budget permitted. Problem with buying the cheapies to begin with { I've made this mistake} is you are stuck with them leaving less, or no room for special ones later on. Though I can understand the reasons behind purchasing cheapies, after all who wants a prize fish dying on you, but then again who wants a fish that no longer has an appeal ?

shayesmommy
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 01:53 AM
i dont know . i bought my first four discus at about 2.5-3 inches. and they only had three even close to that size . all were smaller. so the fish guy practictually made me take my melbro red (bigred) i like the ones with more definition and lines and stripes and all he is orange. so finally i just gave in or i would have really small fish.
and to tell you the truth he was the cheapest i think cause he was the only melbro left. and he was there for a while. so i took him and he has to most amazing personality and hes just awsome.
and i am glad they convinced me to take him.
so i think if your just buying them to love them it shouldnt matter the color . unless you plan on breeding imo.
thats just my experiance.

k9outfit
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 05:17 AM
Problem with buying the cheapies to begin with { I've made this mistake} is you are stuck with them leaving less, or no room for special ones later on
Some of the LFS around here will take fish back on credit if they outgrow your tank, or if you just want to get rid of them for some reason or other. Not sure if you have the same in your area, but it does simplify things - and fixes mistakes.

DR.V
Wed Jun 07, 2006, 09:02 AM
Problem with buying the cheapies to begin with { I've made this mistake} is you are stuck with them leaving less, or no room for special ones later on
Some of the LFS around here will take fish back on credit if they outgrow your tank, or if you just want to get rid of them for some reason or other. Not sure if you have the same in your area, but it does simplify things - and fixes mistakes.

Yes, its the same here.