PDA

View Full Version : Filter Dilemma

Suc_Sid
Tue May 09, 2006, 10:24 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody can help me.

I've recently set up a 120L breeding tank and transferred two Red Turks to it (who were previously laying eggs in a community tank, but eggs always got eaten).

The filter i'm using is an AquaClear - which has been used for some time(it was used on a small community tank for some years) and thus i assume their is sufficient bacteria in it.

Last weekend i put in a double sponge filter (rated to 120L) to hopefully build up bacteria, so, in the event the fish ever spawned, i could turn off the AquaClear and leave the sponge on.

The problem is, they have just laid eggs yesterday - on the intake tube of the AquaClear! Thus, i'll have to turn off the AquaClear if/when the eggs hatch to avoid all the fry being sucked in.

However i'm worried about how the tank might cope with just a sponge filter that hasn't been set up for a week? I assume i'll need to do some water changes, if so, how will this affect any fry that may be in the tank?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Wed May 10, 2006, 06:11 AM
Hi Suc_Sid
You could tie some filter wool around the intake tube of the Aquaclear with a rubber band. Just a suggestion.
Heidi

Suc_Sid
Wed May 10, 2006, 07:08 AM
Heidi

Do you mean filter wool with bacteria already on it? I was kind of thinking about this, but again, unsure how it will work.

Thanks for the suggestion, at least it means we think something alike and i can't be too far off the track...

I'll keep you updated how it goes.

S_S

Merrilyn
Wed May 10, 2006, 07:14 AM
Sid, just wrap the intake with filter wool, and secure it with rubber bands. It will prevent the fry from being sucked up the tube. Just new filter wool will do. You already have the bacteria in your filter.

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Wed May 10, 2006, 07:21 AM
The filter wool wouldn't need to have bacteria on it. It is only going to act as mechanical filtration instead of biological filtration.

We use a canister filter on our grow up tank for bristlnose catfish and have flywire around the intake tube to stop them from going into the filter.

Love to see some photo's of your fish and tank setups.

Heidi

Suc_Sid
Wed May 10, 2006, 10:41 AM
Ahhh, Ok, yes, great idea, thank you both! (sorry i'm a little slow :oops: )

I'll wrap some wool around the intake.

If they hatch successfully, i'll post some pics (fingers crossed).

Here's a pic of my tank - it's a little old, about 12 months, but most recent i've got. Unfortunately my Blue Diamond died about 4 months ago :cry: - i'm not too sure why.

Suc_Sid
Wed May 10, 2006, 10:51 AM
Here's two pics showing the Red Turks.

Thank you both for all your help :wink:

S_S

lovenotthrowdiscus
Wed May 10, 2006, 11:08 AM
nice pics Suc_Sid
love the pics of the Red Turks especially!!
you should put your pics in the photo competition....

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Wed May 10, 2006, 11:57 AM
I agree with Rory. Great pictures and gorgeous fish. You should enter these into the photo comp.
Can you tell me what size your community tank is and what strain are the red discus in your tank?
Heidi

HAN 'd' Aquariums
Wed May 10, 2006, 11:58 AM
I agree with Rory. Great pictures and gorgeous fish. You should enter these into the photo comp.
Can you tell me what size your community tank is and what strain are the red discus in your tank?
Heidi

Suc_Sid
Thu May 11, 2006, 03:25 AM
Thank you both very much for the compliment! I'll definitely look into the photo comp.

Heidi, the red fish is (I think) a Golden Pigeon Blood. I purchased it around early '04 and to be very honest can't remember the exact strain. I'll post a better picture of them soon.

My tank is 4'x1.5'x2' (324L).

Cheers :D

S_S