PDA

View Full Version : What to do when your fiance says 1 tank in the new house

Dave76
Tue May 09, 2006, 04:49 AM
When we bought our new house I was told only one tank in the house. (granted it is 240gal....)

After exploring a number of options here is what I've done

Opinions appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Dave76
Tue May 09, 2006, 04:52 AM
more

Dave76
Tue May 09, 2006, 04:57 AM
Unfortunately I haven't had a camera for a while so no 'in production' shots :(

Dave76
Tue May 09, 2006, 05:08 AM
I've got another rack to move into the other side which will hopefully be this weekend.

I have air and water plumbed around the container with offtakes going into each tank to run filters & do water changes.

All tanks have bottom fed overflows with airstones which cuts cleaning time. Pump is on a timer to run for an hour in the morning and two hours in the evening - this is about a 25% & 50% water change every day on my discus tanks.

Water then drains out onto my garden via the weeping hoses.

Reverse cycle aircon keeps everything at 27degrees so tank heaters barely run.

Simone
Tue May 09, 2006, 05:14 AM
Dave

I must say that is b l o o d y unreal!! :lol: :!: great job! What does the wife say, you only have one tank in the house...hehehe

Merrilyn
Tue May 09, 2006, 05:23 AM
Dave, I'm impressed mate. That is one gorgeous fishroom. What an idea.

discus000
Tue May 09, 2006, 05:58 AM
That must have set you back a bit buying that container.

HeHe .... a good a idea though.

goldenpigeon
Tue May 09, 2006, 06:39 AM
wow awesome!!! now all u need to do is have some fun spray painting the outside of the container and that with be the most swish fishroom ever!!!! awesome idea

AussieStar
Tue May 09, 2006, 08:02 AM
OMG best idea i have ever seen, i had a chance to buy one of these end of last year different think about using it as a fish room

discusme
Tue May 09, 2006, 08:51 AM
Wow, you have gone too far :D ... that's a big too small for you .. you need a BIG one :D.

Cheers,
Ronny

nicholas76
Tue May 09, 2006, 08:53 AM
holy cow!

awsum awsum awsum.

endless
Tue May 09, 2006, 08:55 AM
OMG.... Thats what i call dedication to the hobby

Darth_discus
Tue May 09, 2006, 09:30 AM
[/quote]OMG.... Thats what i call dedication to the hobby

Exactly what i was thinking endless

i like how there is a big cargo container in ur back yard

When u have some mates over that have never seen ur house you'll be like 'Now we come to my back yard'
Friends will be like ' :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: '

barramundi
Tue May 09, 2006, 10:41 AM
OMG what a brilliant idea wish i had one.

The best thing about it is- if you ever move house just get the crane in and take it with you.

john

kalebjarrod
Tue May 09, 2006, 10:46 AM
yeah great idea

i like the refigerated version you got

good insulation in them

well done :wink:

sammigold
Tue May 09, 2006, 11:19 AM
I bet your fiancee is rueing the day she said one tank in the house.... now she has nowhere to sunbake!!!

Do you have to have a permit for something like that?

Great Idea by the way...

kalebjarrod
Tue May 09, 2006, 11:20 AM
P.S wheres the pic of the tank in the house?

Ben
Tue May 09, 2006, 12:29 PM
Awesome!!!!

Thats great Dave!

Have you bought the container or is it on hire?
If so how much was it? I have thought about this before
but until seeing yours it will be put on the list "to do"!

thanks heaps for sharing the photo's mate!

Thats a job well done! :D

cheers
Ben

wickedglass
Tue May 09, 2006, 12:57 PM
when I first started looking at the pics, I thought the container was your fishtank :P

what a great job, mate!

phear
Tue May 09, 2006, 01:32 PM
that is the best idea even my gf thinks its great... she just wants my 5 tanks out of the bedroom hehe :P

Jamie

ashley
Tue May 09, 2006, 08:09 PM
Hi Dave
Now thats what I call innovation.
Great idea and you have saved yourself a fortune by not having to build a solid brick or concrete room.
What sort of money do you think that you have saved by going down this track?

Ashley

Trebs
Tue May 09, 2006, 11:16 PM
Should have got a 40ft :)

Dave76
Wed May 10, 2006, 12:42 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments - glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks I'm not completely nuts :D

To answer a few questions - sorry if I've missed any

* I bought the container - 20" insulated container costs about $3k depending on the condition & age of it

* The outside is going to have lattice attached and grow grape vines around it - added natural insulation and grapes to eat :D

* A 40" container wouldn't fit in the backyard - I did consider it first - I could fit another 20" one next to it - but would probably be killed for suggesting it....The other option is stacking them veritcally & build some stairs :D

* Everyone who comes over assumes you are growing other stuff in there - not keeping fish...

* No permit / council approval is required (in my area anyway) as it isn't a 'fixed addition/out building' - when we move house - just take the fish & water out - strap the tanks in place, crane it out onto a truck drive to new place & reverse process.

* The tank in the house isn't set up at the moment - had to get a new stand organised and lack of $$ atm to the container fit out going over budget :oops:

* I costed up a shed setup & at the end of the day for a similar size setup (pad, shed, insulation, council approval, fees etc) the container worked out not a lot more - and the best part is it is portable.

Dave

Dave76
Fri May 26, 2006, 01:18 AM
I've now got my second rack all in & setup as well.

The left half is four 2'x18"x16" plumbed to sump with a breeding trio of P. annectens, colony of L.Freibergi, pair of N. Brichardi and fry. There is also a 4'x18"16" with a colony of C.Leptosoma"Mpulungu" & a pair of N.Caudopuntatus

The right half is setup for discus breeding on a pump with a pair of snow whites & a snow leopardxblue turq pair in the top 2 tanks. The bottom two have some bachelors in them - I've got some ladies coming for them soon.

The bottom right is a 4'x18"x16" split into two sumps - one for the africans & one for the discus. All on automatic water changes using air driven overflows in the sump.

Still have room for a rack of 4'x18" & 5'x18" at a later stage funds permiting - these discus need to start producing :D

Cheers

Dave

RichVic
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 07:21 AM
Just saw this sign at the local vets

"My husband said that he could bear it no longer
- either the pets went or he did."

We do, miss him sometimes, but oh well..........

Nice to see you found a more creative solution to the domestic situation and as a double bonus - no garden to take up your week-ends!!
ROFL
Vicki[/b]

Brilliant
Sat Jun 10, 2006, 01:22 PM
HA! You fell for the "one tank rule"!!!

I started out with my single 90g from my childhood hobby. Started that up with some grown fish from the move. Well those larger fish were eating all my new fish....another tank (tank 2)...."the sin bin"

I took my wife to the fish store everytime I went. Sure enough she fell in love with this female betta....thats another tank(tank 3).

Got into Apistogramma and Discus and the planted tank....just went to the store and splurged on new 65g. Actually went to the store trying to pickout new tanks for the wife's Leopard Geckos...they were having a sale that was too good to pass up(tank 4).

Then my Discus paired up and started spawning...rushed out and purchased a 29g(tank5). Wife was OK with this...she was floored about the new pair. Tanks 2 & 5 sit on same stand.

Later "the used-to-be-called-computer room" was now dubbed "the fishroom" and I just bit the bullet and purchased two 75g tanks. "Viola"

In all seriousness, this is a joke...
I just wanted to share my "one tank rule" experience. I know how it is!!! I think you did an awesome job here. I would start a room outdoors but I have four seasons to combat...heating\cooling would cost a fortune. I would like to read more about your RO setup it looks interesting. I am planning a better setup now.

Oh I did convert the "one tank rule" to "one tank outside this room rule". I am allowed one monstrosity of a salt water tank....but not in the living room.

OscarManAlpha
Sun Jun 18, 2006, 06:09 AM
How's the set up going Dave ?

Can't wait to see some more pic's.

Cheers,

Mark