PDA

View Full Version : how many spawings

aquaholic
Thu May 04, 2006, 07:43 AM
hello all
I have apair of discus that have spawned 5 times in my community tank and was wondering if there is an averge number of times that they might spawn before they have a rest as i am in the process of setting up a breeding tank but i dont want put them in there if they are about to stop spawning.
Or maybe i should put them in there to get use to it. :?:

cheers andrew

phear
Thu May 04, 2006, 11:04 AM
there is no real number they will just rest at, they will rest when they feel like it. if u can set up a breeding tank do it asap and get them settled in with water from u community tank. keep the tank basic, just a heater, sponge filter and a spawning cone or pole.

dont be supprised if they dont lay eggs for a couple of weeks to a month as they are easily stressed and dont like change but when they are used to there new tank and are happy they will spawn again! they may eat eggs or wrigglers or free swimming fry to start with but just leave them to there own thing and they will get it rite eventually, keep checking water to make sure its always clean.

hope this helps. merrilyn or ben can help if i have missed anything
Jamie

aquaholic
Fri May 05, 2006, 10:26 PM
thanks for that Jamie
I thought that would be the case.I'm looking forward to see there fry free swimming without the predetors around. :)
andrew

Ben
Sat May 06, 2006, 11:44 PM
Like most creatures, discus have a "breeding season".

This means in the wild they will not breed all year round but when the conditions are correct.

With the discus we keep they have been very domesticated and can breed all year round as we try to maintain a perfect balance for them to breed.

I think its a good idea to put them into a "rest period" once per year for around 8 weeks.

Now back to your question!

You can move your breeding pair into their separate tank but as Jamie mentioned they might stop for a period of time until they settle.

Hope this helps,

Ben