PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Medic Phosphate Bypass Filter

DR.V
Mon May 01, 2006, 10:30 AM
Has anyone tried one of this before ?
http://www.aquariumproductswholesale.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=330

What is your feedback about this product ??

Depending on the phosphate level, one filling of antiphos may be sufficient for an aquarium up to 400 litres for between four and twelve weeks.

What does this mean ? Does this mean that after twelve weeks we need to replace the whole filter ? Or just the filter media ?

Where can I get the filter media ??

Thanks a lot

sharkbaitnemo
Mon May 01, 2006, 11:30 AM
depending on the level of phosphate in the water, the media will require replace every 4 - 12 weeks. make sure you are not using a phosphate based pH down otherwise you are just wasting your time with this filter.
you replace with aquamedic antiphos or seachem also make a similar product.
you can get the same effect buying phosphate absorbing media putting it in a media bag and using it in your canister filter.

Proteus
Mon May 01, 2006, 11:42 PM
These units are fantastic... I have one running off a supplimentary canister filter on my discus tank.

You can use them for several different purposes.

I have one running which is full of micromec with a few cut out peat plates in the middle.

If ever the tanks needs chemical flitration, I empty it out, place the existing media in a mesh bag in the sump and fill the bypass filter with carbon, antiphos, phosgaurd, de*nitrate, purigen, coral bone, etc etc

(the end valves are pleated, so as long as the bybass contents arent a fine powder they will stay within the unit)

DR.V
Tue May 02, 2006, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback Proteus. Very helpfull.

taksan
Thu May 04, 2006, 07:32 AM
Does the bypass reduce the flow at all ?

Proteus
Thu May 04, 2006, 07:34 AM
No, I have mine running off a T-Piece so there is no loss in turnover.

Obviously one return hose returns slightly more water to the tank, but not much more.

taksan
Thu May 04, 2006, 10:34 AM
No, I have mine running off a T-Piece so there is no loss in turnover.

Obviously one return hose returns slightly more water to the tank, but not much more.

Would it work to run biochemzorb ?

Proteus
Thu May 04, 2006, 10:48 AM
you coul fit a couple of pouches in one easily enough

Squid
Tue May 09, 2006, 01:30 AM
I use one of these to create a stable water system for my Heckels. They work very well, and I do also add a biochemsorb to the filtration. Can't speak highly enough about the biochemsorb - still trying to source these resins commercially, as I want to add them to all my filters. You see, Toowoomba is at the highest level water restrictions due drought and I dont want to use too much!! Recycling water is the way to go. If you don't do it (have huge amounts of recycled water) with Heckels, you wont even get them to spawn let alone raise the young. Anyway - also have a go with a nitroreductor (NO3 to N2 + O2) - another great piece of Kit.

Squid

vince
Fri May 12, 2006, 05:58 AM
hey Squid:

I am just wondering how do you use the by pass filter to make stable water for your hekel discus?

What media do you use in the BY-pass Filter? Peat? denitrate? Phosphate remover?

Many thnx

vince

Squid
Sat May 13, 2006, 01:22 AM
Hi Vince - mate I use biochemsorb (or similar products) out of the wetseason. Biochemsorb gets ruined too quickly if their is a high organic load. Also, just a sump full of sponge filtration systems (not trickle system) and the nitrate remover, and phosphate reactor are integral to the sump. I haven't got a photos to send - but what I'll do is draw it up by hand, scan it and send it to you. Resin filtration is very good. The total water volume is 1.5 cubic meters (1500lt for 2 fish)

Squid

vince
Sat May 13, 2006, 04:13 AM
thanks squid:

I am not too sure if i could understand what you were talking about.

I picture will certainly help.

I was think about the aquamedic by pass filter. Were you talking about the same thing?

I just attached a pic

vince

Proteus
Sat May 13, 2006, 04:15 AM
I was think about the aquamedic by pass filter. Were you talking about the same thing?

They are essentially one and the same

vince
Sat May 13, 2006, 04:27 AM
Does this product dramatically reduce the flow rate?

looks very much like it

vince

Proteus
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:04 AM
Does this product dramatically reduce the flow rate?

looks very much like it

vince

If you dont ram it full of media it will have minimal effect on flow rates, plus it is ideal to run it off a T/Y piece

vince
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:22 AM
Does the T piece included in the product?

Proteus
Sat May 13, 2006, 05:28 AM
no as that is just an option of how to use it...