PDA

View Full Version : cannister filter water flow very SLOW

Nathan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:47 AM
hey guys i recently treated my discus for flukes, lost two unfortunately. i know your supose to change some parts of the filter media, not sure what though? also ive found the water flow coming from the spray bar to be quite slow compared to what its been like usually, any ideas?

nathan

Simone
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 06:15 AM
Hi Nathan, sometimes my canister will slow down a bit and my hoses can get a bit clogged up your local fish store will have hose cleaners. Hope that helps! :)

Nathan
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 06:34 AM
thanx a lot ill look into that

nathan

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:40 AM
Replace you fine filter pads, the sponges or filter floss. I think you'll find they are full of gunk and that's what's stopping the flow.

If the sponges are reusable, then rinse them thoroughly in a bucket of tank water and put back in the filter. Filter floss is so cheap, it's better to replace it completely once it's too dirty to allow flow through the filter.

FishLover
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
Nathan,
You are suppose to change the fine filter floss every month or so and clean up everything like Ladyred said.

Use the treated water to do the cleaning and don't touch the boi media. Keep the time short(within an hour) and the bio-media wet.

Don't use tap water to clean your filter media.

wickedglass
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 01:54 PM
Sometimes gunk settles on your impeller shaft, too. So while you have your filter lid off the canister, cleaning out the media, see if you can open the impeller compartment, take out the impeller, clean the shaft and the cylinder in the top of the lid with a clean rag and replace it all. Make sure that if there's any rubber seals that fall out you put them in where they came from.
And do yourself a favour, don't get any ideas like me, many years ago, when I thought some oil was a good thing to use to make the impeller run smoother (but noooo, it lead to a nightmare land-slide of "improvements" and "fix-its"which in turn lead to my canister filter being thrown on the rubbish heap) .... DON'T EVER OIL YOUR IMPELLER SHAFT!!!! It doesn't work that way (just some advice).
But DO check it, just in case it's dirty, and if it is, clean it, and put the little bugger back where you found it. :)

FishLover
Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:06 PM
Make sure that if there's any rubber seals that fall out you put them in where they came from.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking from experience? I can image water coming out of the cannister and going all over the floor.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: