PDA

View Full Version : next photo competition

goldenpigeon
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:40 AM
hey everyone.

i think its about time we had another DF.com photo cometition :D i have decided i would like to enter a photo in this time round as i havnt participated before.

in the past we have usually had the competition for whole tank shots. well this time i though it would be nice to have 4 main catagories for a FISH ONLY COMP.

red cat. (rgd, red melon, what ever has red)
blue cat. (blue diamond, snakeskin etc)
golden cat. (pigeons, goldens, whatever has gold/ yellow basically)

and a open catagory for everything else.

does anyone have any ideas for a particular catagory etc?

and yes kev i know the catagories are very open to many strains of discus LOL

any ideas?

cheers
David

Darth_discus
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 11:53 AM
nice idea i am willing to post a pic seen that i havent yet

any other approvals i am sure would be great

nice idea GP

G-1000
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 12:43 PM
Clearly I think we need some regulations

Merrilyn and Ben need to be banned from the comp because they will win all categories between the two of them !

G

goldenpigeon
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:18 PM
^ fair enough!!!

ok what i think should happen

BEN
none of his BD, albino or GLSS allowed in come :twisted:

LR
none of her RGD or Abino either lol

for regulators i think we should have kev, pro (if he doesnt wanna join in) and mayb fishpimpin.

and we need a prize sponsors!!!

nicholas76
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:38 PM
sounds like a great idea GP! nice idea

get those rules happening though

flash? no flash allowed? size of photo? do tell

mcloughlin2
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 10:52 PM
David i reckon there should be a albino category aswell...wont be as large as the others but i think it should still be included.... :wink:

Also there should be a "Champion Discus" category, where there is a overall winner...this discus should be picked out of the other cat.'s and this should be the major prize winner IMO.... :P

I think there should be a maxium 2?? fish in the picture...

And

A maximum number of entries..eg Only ten entries per person.... :D

Nic, i think there should be only no flash used as the fish should be shown in their natural colours

Whats everyone elses ideas on this?

sammigold
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 01:07 AM
I know what you mean about no flash but some people wont be able to get a photo without a flash...
My tank is under a bar and am unable to take shots without flash... Have tried and tried but they always come out really dark... and I have a fairly good camera.....maybe people need to say whether it is taken with flash or not....
also for those of us that dont have discus that are anywhere near championship quality maybe a section for "My Favourite Photo"

I think if we get too much into Categorys then it doesnt become a best photo competition so much as a best Discus competition which may seem a little daunting to some people and put them off.. JMO

nicholas76
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:48 AM
Gp thought if the idea so he should decide..

how about....

1. No photoshop allowed. ( nil edits, enhancements, except below )
2. Flash is acceptable.
3. Photo must be 1024 x768 in size.
4. You must own the fish or had owned the fish.
5. To keep things simple perhaps at this stage we should keep to best discus photo. Maybe in the future we can break up strains and then have the best overall picture.

How does that sound folks?

taksan
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:52 AM
Gp thought if the idea so he should decide..

how about....

1. No photoshop allowed. ( nil edits, enhancements, except below )
2. Flash is acceptable.
3. Photo must be 1024 x768 in size.
4. You must own the fish or had owned the fish.
5. To keep things simple perhaps at this stage we should keep to best discus photo. Maybe in the future we can break up strains and then have the best overall picture.

How does that sound folks?

Once you start dictating to me how to take, process and size my photos then I'm not interested.

nicholas76
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 03:21 AM
LOL

im aware of your photo taking skills
you, ben and Lady red are not allowed to enter LMAO besides you dont have discus i thought??

Merrilyn
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 12:44 PM
Ahhhh Nick, you may just be surprised. Taksan has quite a long history with discus. I'll tell you about it one day. :wink:

sammigold
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
Can you crop a photo without enhancing it any other ways...? you know so you dont have ugly heater in way etc... or does that defeat the purpose...

mcloughlin2
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:31 PM
I dont think cropping the photo would be called enhancing ... :D

Can you crop a photo without enhancing it any other ways...? you know so you dont have ugly heater in way etc... or does that defeat the purpose... [/quote]

goldenpigeon
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:35 AM
ok here is what i think the rules should look like.

1. if you decide to post a picture of your fish you MUST own the fish!! you MUST also be in possesion (spelling lol) of the fish at the time of the competition!
2. Flash is acceptable.
3. there is to be NO PHOTOSHOPPING of the image!
4. Cropping IS allowed
5. there is to be 1 discus in the photo unless a group shot catagory is made.
6. maximum of 5 photo's to be entered by each member!
7. the size of the image should be 1024x768 pixels.

i think for now we should just have an open catagory to make htings simple.

sponsors... we need a prize ;)

cheers
David

nicholas76
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:44 AM
Good work David.

Open and close dates bud?

and who is judging?

goldenpigeon
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 07:58 AM
proteus would you like to be/ nominate some judges?

kev u too mate? :D

nicholas76
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:06 AM
Allan is a proffesional judge, he should be involved in this

G-1000
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:21 AM
Judges should be Allan, Kev and then maybe Ladyred or Andew Soh?

Nick - ur fire rubys need to be banned as well ! lol

G

nicholas76
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 08:30 AM
LOL -- that leaves me with no other fish :)

thats ok Im happy to sit this one out.,, looking forward to seeing some nice pics!

marg
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
I've got to get my Camera fixed - I have got some very photgenic Discus that I just purchased of a certain Young Advisor that I might have to enter in this comp. - (bet you's can't guess who I purchased them from!!).,

Regards,

Marg.

goldenpigeon
Thu Apr 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
lol i swear i had nothing to do with it!!! :roll:

sammigold
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:05 AM
Gee Marg, You certainly get around dont you! LOL
First crocky and now our little GP (I assume I am right) Did you get them posted down?

marg
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:17 AM
Yes Sammi, in the Classifieds I have placed a Post "Discus from Goldenpigeon".

I am really pleased with them. Just gotta get that Camera working!!.

I hope to get back down to Crocky's soon and see what he has in stock.,

Regards,

Marg.

Crocky
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 07:33 AM
Give me a ring Marg,I want to clear a tank 1/2 price for you.

Brad

chrissyoscar
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 08:33 AM
I better clean the cobwebs of the camera :D
My discus are starting to settle down after the move and are showing good color again. I also have a nice Heckel (thanks Ben) that's stunning,
well I think so anyway :)

Ben
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:36 AM
LOL! ossie are you talking about that runted blue turk that i sold to you for $300?

chrissyoscar
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
Yeah that's the one. I still can't believe you ripped of a mate. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
or did I take advantage of you and grabbed myself a bargain.

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 09:51 AM
LOL *memo to self.... never buy fish from Ben*

wow sounds like you got a good deal oscar :roll: LOL

nicholas76
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 10:41 AM
it was the best looking runt i had ever seen!! lmao

my how the ugly duckling as turned the corner!

pics soon I hope!

Ben
Fri Apr 21, 2006, 11:20 AM
yes......i really stooged myself with that one!

can i have it back ossie?

Seaview
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 12:53 AM
Hi all,

well as you all probably know we are new sponsors. would be glad to help out with the phot comp. :D if you could let us now what has been given up as prizes in the past comps im sure we can sort something out.

i was thinking in the lines of external filter for major prize to books/foods/heaters for smaller catagory prizes. we may be all the way over in perth but where more then willing to contribute and help out. :D

Proteus
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 01:54 AM
Perhaps a new comp should commence on the 1st of May, Mike (Seaview) maybe we should give you the honour of choosing a theme, and be involved in the judging.

Maybe just a 1st & 2nd place to keep things interesting.

btw, some of the rules mentioned previously must be ammended (images posted should be 800 x 600 (however in the case of a close finish, higher resolution copies would be beneficial) (larger images suck up bandwidth and a lot of people have to scroll across to view). A theme is required.

sammigold
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 04:32 AM
How about Just letting people post theyre favourite discus photo that has their discus in it in anyway,

To explain further what I mean....
Everyone limited to entering 1 or 2 photos maximum of their very favourite photo that they have taken of their discus..

For example it can be a shot with one discus in it... or it can be a tank shot, or it can be close up character shot.... as long as there is a discus in it somewhere....so the theme would be
"my favourite photo"

just an idea...

OscarManAlpha
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 04:51 AM
Just a quick suggestion.

Individual fish portraits ( no tanks just the fish )

One winner best of breed discus only..

One winner open class any fish species..( fish species name must be listed with the photo Common and Latin Name....)

Full frame of the individual fish cropped or not as long as it fills the frame in the required size.

Possibly in two separate threads one for the discus only best of breed, one for the open class any species.

Multiple entries allowed.

Just a thought.............

Cheers,

Mark

OscarManAlpha
Sat Apr 22, 2006, 04:59 AM
Just looked back through the thread and it seem's GP's original post suggested much the same as what I just did :oops: :roll:

Cheers,

Mark

Seaview
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 08:44 AM
Perhaps a new comp should commence on the 1st of May, Mike (Seaview) maybe we should give you the honour of choosing a theme, and be involved in the judging.

involved in the judging. hmmm i will put my hand up for that. :D and as for a theme. ive always like over all layout. as sammigold suggested 'my favourite photo" other wise im open for any judging as this would be our first time! :?

also i would have to say that i too agree with only allowing 1 to 2 max photos per person per theme.

cheers

nicholas76
Mon Apr 24, 2006, 09:08 AM
sounds cool with me

"best photo""

next time we can go "Best Discus"

and then if we want to get technical we can then break it up in strain category.

Seaview
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 01:00 AM
Perhaps a new comp should commence on the 1st of May,

well the date is only around the corner it where to start the comp on the date suggested. we will be happy to donate a via aqua 300 (aqua one cf500) external canister filter for the 1st prize.

i guess we just need to finallize the catagory/theme and the rest is happy snapping. :)

Ben
Sat Apr 29, 2006, 02:20 AM
I would like to express many thanks for donating the prize!
From the DF team.

May the best photo win!

Cheers
Ben