PDA

View Full Version : Genetics

G-1000
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:29 AM
Who knows how to make a clean snow leopard or red/white ?

I was thinking of letting my RGD and snow white pair off to see if they make a clean red/white without that black speckling on the face.

Thoughts ?

goldenpigeon
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:36 AM
i have one completely clean snow leopard. she has a clear white face and intense red/spotting on the body. ill get you a pic soon.

Ben
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:57 AM
This is one area that always confuses and frustrates me! Genetics!!!

Maybe we have some one here that will be able to help!

Dee
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 12:31 PM
Hello G,

I was always under the impression that the Snow Leopard didn't carry any pidgeon genes, I may be way off the mark there, so don't hold me to that :)

According to the Discus Catalogue by Martin Ng the following are crossed to get a Red and White.

Snow White x Virgin Red = Red and White
Then cross offspring to get Snow Red

Then you have the Snow Leopard ---
Snow White x Leopard Skin = Snow Leopard

HTH

Cheers,

Dee :)

G-1000
Mon Apr 17, 2006, 11:54 PM
Thanks Dee,

You are quite right when you say that the red/white and snow leopard do not have any pigeon genes - very true.

But the snow white is based on a ghost discus - a mutation of the ghost. This means that there is the appearance of the ugly looking dusty-type face in the snow leopards and red/whites.

This is what I want to breed out of the line.

I am considering crossing the RGD to the snow white on the basis that maybe the golden gene the RGD holds will be able to remove this dusty appearance to the face, while giving intense red spotting to the F1 generation. Due to the rose red gene.

What you think ?

G

discusjim
Tue Apr 18, 2006, 06:38 AM
A snow white is a mutation of a brown.
Jim

Dee
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I'm with Jim, as I was always under the impression the Snow Whites where a mutation from the brown originally.

As for the RGD x Snow White, I think it would throw some interesting fry, but would take a few generations of inbreeding to get the desired results ... maybe f2 -f3. You would more than likely get some interesting goldens and the like from the f1, maybe some reds in there somewhere ?

I am by no means very knowledgable about genetics :oops: but would be an interesting exercise :) may take a couple of years before you see the actuall desired fish your after, well worth the effort though.

Cheers,

Dee.

jim from sydney
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 05:51 AM
Hi G...

i found this site recently....

check it out Pal, you may find something of interest here.... :idea:

http://www.cichlidae.com/article.php?id=20

G-1000
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the site Jim - good stuff!

As for the snow white being a brown base - that is very true, but I was referring to how snow white was made using ghost discus mutations (obviously the ghost discus was originally a brown)

G

G-1000
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 06:53 AM
My apologies to the people of the forum,

I just noticed in the discus catalogue that the snow white is referred to as a direct mutation of the brown.

I when I said derived from ghost - I meant page 126 of penang discus by shiafullah yeng.

So disregard my previous post.

For arguments sake - the ghost is derived from blue discus - pg 122 of penang discus

:)

G

Dee
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:08 AM
Hiya G,

yeah you are right in saying the Ghost is a mutation from a Blue discus, apparently from the Cobolt Blue. I was going to mention it earlier, but it didn't seem relative to the post and I didnt want to prattle on too much, like I have the tendancy to do :roll: :lol:

For interest sake, are you able to post a pic of the style of fish you would like to breed ? Is it a classic style Red and White or something more like a Snow Leopard ?

Cheers,

Dee.

G-1000
Wed Apr 19, 2006, 10:23 AM
Gday Dee,

Mate I wanted to make a red white, same style and colour as in the discus catalogue. Like a solid red chunk on the body as opposed to dots.

Unfortuneatly, my snow white has been shivering and jittering and bowing all day with my blue knight. So looks like it doesnt matter anyway coz those two look like pairing.

Ah well, at least I can breed the RGD to the albino - that would be something

G