PDA

View Full Version : ADVICE NEEDED URGENTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paulsa67
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 10:29 AM
Unfortunately I have to move my 4ft tank from one room to another as soon as possible.Due to dampness in my daughters room.
I was looking for some advice on doing this safe and quick without causing my Discus any stress.I have a little 1 footer spare tank if this can be used to keep the discus in until I set up the tank in a different room.

Should I just store the existing water in barrels and then add the same water to the tank once moved to the different room.

Any advice would be very welcome

Regards Paul .

sharn
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 11:25 AM
i suggest putting some barrels with water into the 'new place' and transferring your gravel and filters into that so its at the new place when you need to set them up, saves lugging heavy gravel across the house. you want to keep that stuff wet as it holds alot of benefical bacteria.

basically id do it this way-
move existing water into the smaller tank
place discus/other fish in there
move some water into the barrells in the other room
move gravel and filters into there
store as much water as poss and empty tank
move tank to new place
fill half way with saved water and add filters and gravel etc
fill up with any extra water you need
wait for a few hours for things to clear then add your fish
then keep a eye on your params for the next week or so, feeding a bit lighter than usual might help just incase you lost bacteria.

just my opinion though and i hope that helped, thats the way i always do mine. good luck, hope it doesnt get too stressful hehe

FishLover
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 01:30 PM
Good one Sharn. I would like to just add one more thing. Pay close attention to your bio-filter. If it takes you more than an hour to set it up in the new place and running, I would try to have it running in the small tank and transfter it to the new location after you set up in your new place. Some stress coat is going to help the fish too because you have to net them out twice in a short period. I would also do light feeding a day before the move. Keep the lights off for few hours after you moved them to the new location. Don't feed them in that period.

I would invest in a long hose and a good pump so I could move the water around without breaking my back.

Good luck.