PDA

View Full Version : Pairing up?

Steverd
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 02:54 AM
I've had white diamond Discus for a little over a week now. It had been hiding and not eating for about a week. I was about to move it to a new tank, but today my blue Turquoise stopped chasing this one and now these two seem like buddies. Now the white diamond discus will come out and is following the Turquoise discus, which has stopped chasing this one also...
They are both about 3inches, would you say this is pairing up? Or just accepting the new fish, although the Turquoise discus is still chasing around the other 2 discus in this tank.

Steverd

Merrilyn
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 04:26 AM
At three inches ( is that with or without the tail fin) they could be pairing up.

Just keep watching them, it's very early days yet, but it sounds promising.

Steverd
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 05:05 AM
At three inches ( is that with or without the tail fin) they could be pairing up.

Just keep watching them, it's very early days yet, but it sounds promising.

They are about 3 inch body sizes. Although they really didn't like he
hold up a ruler next to the glass, pretty much freaked them out..
I think one tried to jump out of the tank, good thing it's covered.

Steverd

jim from sydney
Mon Apr 03, 2006, 05:09 AM
when they are so young be careful and do SLOW movements around the tank areas, they will go silly otherwise which can result in head bashing......so slow and enjoy.....is the answer.......strange things like cameras and other objects will scare them a lot.

Steverd
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:13 AM
when they are so young be careful and do SLOW movements around the tank areas, they will go silly otherwise which can result in head bashing......so slow and enjoy.....is the answer.......strange things like cameras and other objects will scare them a lot.

GOOD Advice...

It makes me wonder how people can feed them by hand, I think mine
are very spooky. They hate it when people are too close to the tank, or cleaning, reaching into the tank, or changing water, etc..

Steverd

Merrilyn
Tue Apr 04, 2006, 01:27 AM
You'll be surprised just how quickly they settle down Steverd. Discus are very intelligent, sometimes they're just a bit too smart for their own good LOL.

They have very good eyesight, and can see well into the room. They are very aware that things have changed, and they are in a new place, with new people around them, however the way to a discus's heart is definately through his stomach.

Every time you walk up to the tank, give them a few grains of food. It won't be very long before they associate you with the food, and will be waiting at the front of the tank, wagging their tails like puppies.

Mine recognise the difference in the packaging of the food I am about to feed them. If I walk up with a can of dry food, they swim to the front and wait quietly for the food to be dropped in, but if I should walk up with some frozen food (their favourite) they just about jump out of the water to get to it. :shock:

Discus are smart. Just give them a bit of time, and you'll have their trust.