PDA

View Full Version : Wild caught Alenquers

Squid
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:14 PM
Here is a photo of a tank full of my wild Alenquers. Got a pair ready to spawn soon. Very slow growing but around 2 years old. Please excuse to focus and dirty glass but envy over their colour instead. Female dead center with a male immediate right.

Squid

Squid
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
got an Alenquer male to pair up with a marlborough female also

Ben
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 12:17 PM
Wowser Squid!

They look awesome!

Keep me posted when they breed!

Great to have you back by the way!

cheers
Ben

RJ_Archer
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 10:10 PM
Where did u get your wild caught discus....( i want some)

goldenpigeon
Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:02 PM
awesome fish!!! could u make up a post where u show us most of you nice discu? particularly the wild ones :D

cheers
David

Squid
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:23 AM
No worries GP - I'l make up a new thread in the photo section showing some of my wild stuff. These Alenquers were hand picked for me by a mate who went over to Manaus on a collecting trip. I got them quarantined in Darwin but they were bought in thru Malaysia. He followed them all the way home so no one could steal them (this has happened heaps in the past). Anyway - I'm going over to Brazil next year to do the same. Looking at going for around 3 weeks in May/Jun and bringing about 50 specimens home (Brazil charges $5 US to export each specimen)

Anyway - I'll let you all know when I'm going - and here's a photo of my latest girl in my life. My female Japura river green.

Squid

Merrilyn
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 03:24 AM
Love their colours Squid. Beautiful fish. I love the alenquers. Have a pair with about 80 two week old fry at the moment.

The pairs go a very dark red/black when they spawn. Spectacular fish.

Nice to have you back btw. :P

Squid
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:36 PM
Its great to be back. Dr Ursula kept all the fish in fairly good condition with only 2 deaths out of 40 (1 suicide and 1 internal parasite that went and hid so she couldn't see him). Made enought money over there to get over to the Amazon next year or possibly this year - may be a bit late for this year as I think the collection tour is booked out and I haven't booked my quarantine facilities yet.

Squid

goldenpigeon
Sat Mar 25, 2006, 10:50 PM
that one is great :D ur my new best friend :D

Squid
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 09:20 AM
Hey Junior -I'm moving down to my breeding farm in Toowoomba at the end of this year. Might take me a while to set up but you'll be able to come up and visit. My wife and I bought a bed-and-breakfast home on the edge of the range and we have 4 spare double rooms. House is too big and we simply close down 2 complete living areas until someone comes to stay. Each room has a Queen double bed with discus tank of course, and access to spar etc. Pretty cool I reckon - just gotta have some kids now to fill it up! But anyway - my wifes a vet so our litle abode is full of animals - and we breed birds. We enclosed one of our verandas with a complete walk in aviary. The guy minding my house at the moment is a fish nut also - he breeds rare Australian native and my super shed has been filled with tanks and all cars evicted into our car park down the side. You'll have to come up and have a look but you gotta love animals. The tally is 4 cats, 2 border colliedogs, 20+ birds (all hand raised) 20 tanks plus full of fish, spiders, lizards and snakes. I'll send photos of my menagerie.

Squid

Dee
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 10:21 AM
Heya Squid,

Love the Alenquers mate, stunning looking fish. I have always been a fan of the Alenquers and they are a great looking collection you have there. All the best.

Dee :)

goldenpigeon
Sun Mar 26, 2006, 10:29 AM
lol ur talking to the right dude mate :D

come to my place you will find a horse, 3 cats, 2 dogs, 6-8 large mostly and smaller fish tanks depending on need for them, a huge blue tongue lizard and 4 snakes (a breeding trio is part of it).

about 2 months ago you would have seen about 20 birds (hand tame and not) but i have unfortunantly had to get out of them due to time constraints with study. i bred cockatiels and hand raised them and have just sold my alexandrine :cry: :cry: ..... my pair of ringnecks are going to a new home in the next 2 weeks so then my cages will be empty. i used to have a pair that i matched up myself that bred pure white babies without the albino gene! they were retty good i thought because the ablinos were fairly dopey birds. this isnt something that happens often im told.

at the end of the year i shall be getting another bird however, something a bit rarer and exotic. i was thinking or a trio of macaws..... i wish!!! no i would actually like an african grey parrot. much better than a macaw!

well thanks very much for your offer and i very much intend to come and visit you in the future!!!

many thanks
cheers
David

Squid
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 12:32 PM
Hi mate - well. Looks like we have parallel paths. As soon as we get back home, we are putting in aviaries for Macaws and African greys! Have heaps of Cocktiels - and you'de be surprided how many my wife brings back in from the clinic. Either surrendered or found. They usually stay in the long run anyway. Also have hand raised cockatoos, corellas and lories. No horses please!! Its only a matter of time before one strolls in - but Ursula used to be a large animal vet out near Kingaroy. Lets put it this way - sick horses are not usually friendly to strange vets and she's been hurt on numerous occassions! Anyway - we'll definitely have to meet up when I get down there.

Squid

goldenpigeon
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 06:30 AM
sounds awesome!!!!

Dave76
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:22 AM
Hi Squid

Nice looking fish you have there :)

Do you have any info on the 'collection tour' you mentioned above ? Sounds interesting...

Cheers

Dave

Crocky
Tue Mar 28, 2006, 07:39 AM
Hi Squid

Don't wild caught discus have much color/patterns on their bodies,I do like that green-female.

Brad

Squid
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 12:29 AM
Crocky - depends on what your looking for in a wildie i guess. That female green in the picture is a yellow side. When she grows up she'll have a lot more dots on her flanks but no stripes. Some do have stripes however. The male river greens tend to have a more colourful head and more intense striping. I tend to keep the plain sided ones- but I do have a few Coari/Tefe specimens as well which are quite pretty.

Dave - I'll let you know the details on the collection trip when I find out. I have an email address for the US tourgroup.

Squid

discusjim
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 07:20 AM
The better quality tefe's come from Lago tefe.
They have more spots and better shape then the one's from Rio tefe.
A big belgium importer told me did ones.
Jim

barramundi
Wed Mar 29, 2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Squid,

They are stunning discus mate, must admit them rsg's are awesome in your other post, might think about some wild stuff.

Have called a couple of times, i'll try and catch you soon.Hey have you seen them new discus don's got they look green with very fine blue lines on them?

john

Squid
Thu Mar 30, 2006, 01:25 AM
Hey Barra - get your credit card ready. Dons got some cheap Alenquers coming in next week. He has a demo model in the big discus tank at the moment. I think the discus you are talking about are some big blue snake skins / or scorpions. Anyway - I've sent ya a pm.

Hi Jim also - you're right regarding the Tefes. Stuff from the Tefe Lagoon is a bit brighter but not always. Only one way to find out I guess - and thats go there. I did have some river stuff and they were good quality also.

Squid