PDA

View Full Version : First Discus Pics[Updated 21-03]

ellwa
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 12:13 AM
Well, after three weeks of settling in, my babies have started spending a little more time out in the open..

40G
pH 6.8
nitrate/rite, amonia@0
temp 30.0C
110W Power Compact 10hours/day
+green CCFL morning and evening for viewing

inhabitants...
4 discus
4black skirt tetras
2 yoyo loaches, coming out when I find somewhere for them
1 whiptail cat
2 bristlenose
1 elephant nose

+driffwood, and various plants, inc. swords, glosso green tiger lotus etc.

and IDs would be much appreciated.

ellwa./

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 01:09 AM
That's a gorgeous tank, and the fish and plants are thriving. Well done.

How about a pic of the whole tank. That piece of driftwood in the back looks wonderful.

ellwa
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:45 AM
Right, now the YoYos are gone, they were causing trouble this morning and then one of them started showing some wierd signs, lack of movemet, fadding colouring, and the other was attacking him. Seeya Later Guys!

Started my ferts today, and I think I've already got bubbles going on.. WTF! You tell me, cause I'm not too sure...

The Yellow Melon has been out all afternoon now the loaches are gone.

Did the full range of tests when I got home, was a little worried just before I went out, but its all good. All the essentials are at nil, kH is 3, GH is 8, temp is 31.

There is still some semi fury growth on a couple of the plants, but I figure the two BNs I put in last week will get there in time, and once I fix the light all will be well.

I'm starting to question the insertion of the black skirts, they're a bit of a pain in the arse to the discus I think...

Let me know your thoughts.

Cheers!

ellwa
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:52 AM
a few more...

Daetarek
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 06:59 AM
awesome pics of the tank :)

I love the yellow melon we picked up to of the little fellas previously and they are quite striking, although a little fuzzy, one of the others looks like a Blue Turquoise and the other either the same or maybe a diamond, if you can post pictures of those guys it would be good.

Looks like the plants are starting to give a reaction, not sure what sort but a definate reaction :)

I am in agreeance on the tetra's i removed them all from my tank when they started to flit about a bit to much for the discus, i replaced them with blue rams, a much nicer, friendlier and relaxed fish in my mind ... only thing is they cost a little more, but are worth it :) and bolivian butterflies/rams are pretty good too :)

Daetarek
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 07:01 AM
I must have posted just as you were posting i missed the next set of pics, thats definatly a blue turq, and maybe an ocean green, they look good :)

ellwa
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:32 PM
A few NightVision shots, some so you can see what it looks like, and two to see some of the shyer fish.

My Blue[Something] loves being out at night I think, when he is looking out into the world he looks gorgeous.

the Yellow Melon looks fantastic, and the two snake skins[i think thats what they are..] seem to hang together a bit, ones red, the other is blue.

They school up during the day when noone is looking, too.

I'm thinking I need to re-think my lighting timetable... Can you have two Shorter Photoperiods during the day, say 7am-midday, and then 7pm-midnight, say? Just trying to minimize my algae problems, and if I can shorten the day, but keep the temp up a bit, would I be able to cheat the system, less growth, both wanted and unwanted?

Just a thought...

Enjoy.

ellwa
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 03:42 PM
a few more...

still under nightvision.

nicholas76
Mon Mar 13, 2006, 05:26 PM
It great to see that you are really enjoying your discus! nice tank mate.

we need the whole tank shot though!!!!! hehehe

ellwa
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 01:05 AM
full tank, as requested

still trying to get the water crystal clear, but I think some of it is the light, and I figured that some of the particles I was thinking the filter should have been catching, are air bubbles.

nicholas76
Tue Mar 14, 2006, 04:22 AM
:shock: :shock: :shock: awsum tank

ellwa
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 04:04 AM
So this morning my PondMaster 5W UV Sterilizer arrived, and I've been off to bunning to get some spice racks for all the smegma to live in..

and this is how its looking at the moment..

the Lotus is starting to take off, I'd like to put in a red one, but I think i'll just go with what I've got. I'm trying to get my hands on some Chain Sword too, but I dont know what to look for, or where...

Excuse the algue on the glass, I'll get that tonight before people arrive for dinner...

I always find it interesting seeing what people have under their tanks, and this is the rest of my setup...

eheim 2224, pondmaster 5W UV-C, Aquilina 2x55W PC [3wpg], Aqua-One 300W heater, DIY CO2 w/ Resun glass diffuser, plus 600mA of Green Cold Cathode NightLighting.

If anyone wants and more info on the Nightlighting, I've got pics of the whole thing, and something I've been working on for a while, and I'd be happy to write a little DIY article on what to do and how.

:)

ellwa
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 04:05 AM
and a couple more of the setup...

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 21, 2006, 06:44 AM
Very impressive set up, and you're right, we love ot peek in other fish keepers cupboards. LOL

ellwa
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 09:13 AM
one month on.

here are my babies! in the lights!

filter wasnt workign properly over the weekend, but got the original intake, and its cleared up like something really clear...

ellwa
Mon Mar 27, 2006, 09:23 AM
a few more...

so happy they're finally out and about!

I was also wondering if anyone knows anyone, or can recommend, getting my driftwood planted?

the two pieces in the back, I was thinking about finding theplaces where the stores get their driftwood from, and sending it off to get it nicely planted with a super duper plant tank.

Or, setting up my old 20gal, with a hangon, DIYco2, and shit loads of light, to grow my plants a bit before they go into the display tank...
I'd love to get those two pieces covered in a cover type plant or something...