PDA

View Full Version : Discus Eating Plant??

discus_maniac
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 08:57 AM
Hi all,

My plant is either rotting or it's eating by my discus??
Now i am just wondering if it's the second case then is that mean something wrong?? I add some more plants not long ago.

DM

sharn
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:18 AM
lots of things can cause plants to get ripped up, get holes or look like theyre dying. maybe not enough light or nutrients? snails can snack on plants and BN can too, got anything like that in your tank?

discus_maniac
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:36 AM
lots of things can cause plants to get ripped up, get holes or look like theyre dying. maybe not enough light or nutrients? snails can snack on plants and BN can too, got anything like that in your tank?
No, i turn on my light for 8 hrs a day, i use a small pot with medium size gravel for the plants, so i don't know why it's like so.

DN

Daetarek
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 09:57 AM
My discus pick at my ambulia regularly :)

i think they need some greens, they also like chewing bits of anubias occasionally, i have thought nothing of it ... the plants sometimes look a bit tatty but i just cut away the old leaves

FishLover
Thu Mar 09, 2006, 10:07 PM
8 hours a day is not enought for plants.

You need about 10 hours at least for them. 12 hours would be better. You will have to be careful too because that could fire up your algee. There are some other issues too (wattage per g or deapth of tank to name few)