PDA

View Full Version : Bossy discus

Hettie_48
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:44 AM
HI,
I have a problem that I didn't expect to have as a new discus keeper.

I have 5 in a 250 Litre tank. 2 have paired up and have laid several of batches of eggs and now they terrorize the other 3 so that they hide away all day and don't get enough food. The 2 bossy ones just wear them down so they give up fighting back. These 3 are smaller and younger.

What can I do?

I am in the process of seting up another tank but it has only been running for about 6 weeks so don't know when it will be OK for discus.
Amonia, nitrite etc are OK.
My main aim in getting discus was to see a group all swimming around together.

Any suggestions please?
Hettie

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:30 AM
Hello Hettie. Unfortunately that's a problem with discus. When the pair off and start laying, they become very territorial and do indeed frighten away the other fish. Smaller or younger fish just can't stand up to a determined pair.

My suggestion is to move the pair to another tank. Your tank that has been cycling for 6 weeks should be fine, if you do regular water changes, and move over some of the filter media from the cycled tank.

Give the three little ones the run of the 250L tank and think about adding some more fish in there, but be sure they are the same size as the original three. Harmony should return, and the pair will have a chance to raise their family in peace.