PDA

View Full Version : help required

peter_oz
Wed Feb 01, 2006, 03:28 PM
G'day

I am new to discus have purchased 22 new fish and i like a planted tank as well but the plants or light dont like each other ? question what light and what plants go well with discus :oops: i know but new to this they r GREAT fish can i have tank as nice

Pete

Merrilyn
Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:09 AM
Hello Peter, and welcome to the forum. Great to have you with us.

Discus are just wonderful fish, aren't they, and very addictive. Wow 22 fish. You really jumped in with both feet, didn't you. Love to see some pictures when you have time.

You can certainly have a nicely planted tank with discus. Perhaps some of the easier to grow are Amazon sword plants. They come in a variety of sizes, from dwarf chain varieties for the foreground, to larger ones for a centrepiece or background. Giant val is easy to grow, and tolerates the warm water conditions, but needs to be trimmed often. Anubias or Java Fern grown on driftwood looks good, and the discus love the slightly acid water produced by the driftwood.

You can set up a CO2 system, or keep it simple and add fertilizer tablets around the base of each plant, as I do, and that seems to work well too.

Have a look in the Amazon Garden forum here. You'll find lots of experienced plant people willing to give you advice on setting up your light and tank requirements.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=26