PDA

View Full Version : What Temp Is A Good Temp?

Mulisha
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone was just curious as we all have our temps in our tanks at 29 degrees+ does this cuase the disucs to live a less longer life say it was at 27 degrees?

The point i'm trying to get at is the higher the temps is better for growth becuase there metabloisim is alot faster rather then lower temp and slower metablosim. But with the higher temps is this reducing the disucs life spand dramitacly?

Is it good to have 30+ degrees for juviniles and have a temp around the 27 degree mark for adults?

Hope this made sense LOL

Thanks for ya replys in advance :D

Mulisha
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:37 AM
Another thing is what temperture does everyone recommend for adults and juvniles :?: :?:

sammigold
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 12:43 AM
Mine is on 28c and they are happy...

I think alot of people keep temp up around 30c with babys etc to help prevent certain diseases/bacterias as alot of things cant survive in temps of 30c +

Please correct me if I am wrong ^...

I think most people try and recreate the water temp and parameters of what discus would find in their natural habitats I am sure they could probably survive lower temps for a while but they wouldnt thrive.. it would be like taking someone from queensland to alaska and making them wear a t-shirt... they would adapt but would probably never be very healthy..lol

hth

Mulisha
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 01:37 AM
LOL thanks Sammi i liked your example :wink: :wink:

electric molecular
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Mulisha,

That is an interesting ponderance. I personally would think discus' lifespans would be longer at a higher temp, say 30degrees as they are less likely to get parasitic illnesses like whitespot. I've also heard that a higher temp increases their metabolism, so they are likely to grow out better.

Claire.

Del
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 08:44 PM
Hey Mulisha

My tank sits at 28 but why not start a poll - it might be interesting...?

DEL

Mulisha
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 01:35 AM
Yeah :D

Merrilyn
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 03:04 AM
I keep my adult discus at around 28 degrees Breeding pairs go into 30 degrees, and juveniles and fry at 31 - 32 degrees.

These temperatures seem to work for me

Mulisha
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 06:14 AM
Cheers Merrilyn :D