PDA

View Full Version : Aggressor turned timid!!!

sammigold
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 08:33 AM
Hi all. Hope everyone had a happy and safe welcoming into the new year!!!

My quick question is probably easily answered....

I bought my discus in July and over the past 6 months they have grown quite abit.... my pigeonblood was quite aggressive especially toward my blue diamond who is a bit of a runt due to illness. The pb was also quite bossy with the other two... I have noticed over the past 2 weeks that the pb is now quite timid and he/she seems to be having head on little fighting spurts with my Blue turq... they butt into each other and peck at each other and then they turn around a squiggle abit sort of rubbing their tails against each other.... each bout only lasts about 1-2 minutes at the most but it is happening quite frequently... The pb seems to hide away more than it used to. It is eating well and is always out for a feed as soon as it sees me.... i have noticed that it sometimes has these little head butt sessions with the blue diamond as well but without the tail swishiing stuff. the blue diamond sticks up for itself alot more now and wont take any bullying like it used to.... should I be worrying about the behaviour change.? if I bought two more discus (juvies) would they be bullied because of size difference? am I better off getting some closer to the same size? Thanks...... Sammigold

goldenpigeon
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:33 AM
hey sammi,

i would say that it is just the BD has grow up a bit and is defending itself now. the BD must have become the boss of the tank and the 2 fish are trying to retain being the boss.

you could add more fish if you want. it might help smooth things out.

HTH

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 10:40 AM
Hi sammi, yes I agree. The dynamics of the group have changed, and the leadership has been challenged. They will eventually get it sorted out, but adding more fish of a similar size might help to settle things down a bit.

sammigold
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:04 PM
thanks guys... thats what I thought... it is very interesting to watch.... the only one who doesn't get in on the action is the super red.. he has always been fairly peaceful and even when he was the smallest which he isn't anymore he never really got picked on.. BD was sick for a while and they picked on him but now that he is better he is alot fiestier... good on him..he's the smallest one now even though he has grown a bit, the others have far surpassed him..