PDA

View Full Version : My Discus (UPDATED)!

Mulisha
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 12:04 PM
Hey everyone these are my red turks i got off Rod Lewis a few weeks ago and there a bit over 14 weeks old now and starting to show there colours a bit now. There are a few that are runted i have 8 of them in a 5ft tank.

Here is 1 pic untill tommorow when it's daylight hope you like this one for the time being.

The pics arn't the best they tend to think there getting food when i take pictures and they get all excited LOL :lol:

Dee
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 01:24 PM
Heya Rick,

Great looking juvi RT mate ! a job well done ... as for some being runted, that cant really be said until they are atleast semi adults ... some discus in a group grow slower than others and you will find that ones that seem to be growing slowly will have a growth spurt and catch up ... I think you will find that they all end up a similar size. This is what I have found with growing out juvi'sin the past ! Best of luck with them mate, the're lookn great ! :wink:

Cheers,

Dee :)

Mulisha
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks Discus D it has been such jump from when i first got them i had a few probelms and now they seem much happyier in there and looking much better as well :D

Merrilyn
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 03:36 PM
Lovely shape to that little fish. I'm looking forward to more photos.

Ben
Mon Jan 02, 2006, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the pics Rick!

The little guy looks very healthy and happy which is the most important thing!

Cheers
Ben

Mulisha
Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Ben and Merrilyn for your nice words as it means alot when it comes from people that have such awersome fish :D

Here are some more pictures of my discus i will get alot more tommorow the camera went flat LOL this should give you a rough idea of what i have in the tank. :D

Mulisha
Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:34 PM
Some more.

Mulisha
Mon Jan 02, 2006, 12:38 PM
This i picture i took with the flash and it came out really bad :(

When u guys say use the flash and clean the glass well that's what i did and look at the picture makes the fish look really bad :?

I have lots of wood in the tank that's why it would have gone orange from the tannis which i think the fish like i hope LOL.

Just thought i would show you a pic of my fish taken with flash not the best :oops: :oops:

hope you enjoy all the other pictures :roll:

goldenpigeon
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:33 AM
great pics and fish Rick. when you use flash take the picture at an angle so the flash doesnt show eg. above fish looking down slightly on it, to the left looking at fish on right.

HTH

Mulisha
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 02:34 AM
Thanks GP

I'll get some other pics as well and try out the flash thing :wink:

Mulisha
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:32 PM
I got a hood for the tank today and will take some pictures of it tommorow when it's on :D

goldenpigeon
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:40 PM
i have just had another look at the photos and i can see any discus that look stunted???? r u sure your not over reacting a bit :lol:

cheers
David

Mulisha
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:44 PM
LOL probbly am :wink:

Dee
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:46 PM
Heya Rick,

Great looking lil RT's mate ... great pics too. I would have to agree with GP and say none of those guys look stunted ... great work :thumb keep it up :wink:

Cheers,

Mulisha
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:50 PM
Thanks Discus D would you have any more pictures of your fish from Rod Lewis so i can get a rough idea if that makes sense LOL :lol:

Merrilyn
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 12:52 PM
Lovely looking group of fish Rick. All look fat and healthy. Well done.

Dee
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 01:13 PM
Heya Rick,

No probs mate, here's a few that I could find, sorry their a little crappy :? I stupidly sold these guys when I thought I was moving house ... then didn't :roll: easily the best RT's around ... IMHO... don't make the same mistake I made lol :wink:

Enjoy the pics !

Cheers,

Dee
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 01:16 PM
And lastly the little guy on the right, I really liked this guy's markings alot ... kinda Alenquer like ! Atleast they all went to good homes ... lessens the pain slightly :P

Cheers,

Mulisha
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 02:55 PM
WOW he looks stunning :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How old is he and do you have high intense lights on that tank becuase they look very nice in that light :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mine seem not to turn out well when taken with a camera seems like i have no light in my tank or something and there colours don't stand out.. :?

Dee
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 03:13 PM
Heya Rick,

Those RT's where about 9-10months when those pics where taken. As for lighting, all I had on that 4x2x2 (430L) tank was a single 37W 4ft globe which equates to around a 1/3rd of a watt per gallon (very low light). The globe is one of those Gro-Lux tubes, and very pinkie red in colour, which IMO works a treat for red based discus. They where in a unpainted tank with a white (styro) bottom. I prefer very low light for discus, they seem more relaxed and it seems to work well in regard to showing their colours off ... works for me :D HTH

Cheers,

Mulisha
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 12:13 AM
Cheers Thanks Discus D

My fish still have a orange base colour so it's just a waitting game i think i can't wait till my come out something anywere near as good as your fish :shock:

Thanks for showing me yours pictures :D :D :D :D

Dee
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 12:00 PM
Heya Rick,

No probs mate :) Just keep your guys well fed on a variety of good foods and keep up the WC's ... that's all I did with the fish in those pics. Best of luck with them.

Cheers,

Mulisha
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 01:44 PM
Cheers Dee i can't wait till my fish turn out anything like yours it's amzing watching my fish at the moment they are getting a little bit more colour every day only slowly though i have to play the waitting game now :D

Mulisha
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:02 AM
Here are a few new pictures sorry for the bad pics and still planting the tank out.

Tank is now 3 weeks old and fish are 16 weeks old now.

By the way does the orange base colour on the Red Turks fade away or change colour? :oops:

Mulisha
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:05 AM
A few more. :lol:

Mulisha
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:21 AM
This is my aging tank that is under my 5ft tank it's 2'x18"x18" and holds 125L.
I have a 300watt heater and a air stone in the tank and a Via Aqua 2300LPH pump in there to pump the water into my tank.
The hose that goes from the pump into the tank has a one way regulator on it to stop water comming into the aging tank and also if i want to slow the rate of the flow into the tank.
I only set this up to make w/c much easyier for me and i can do almost a 50% w/c now on the tank which always helps :D

Here is two pics and it only just fitted under there LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ben
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:23 AM
The tank is looking great Rick!

The turks will love it in there and will grow up very well!

I love the drift wood!

Keep up the good work bud,

Ben

Mulisha
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:25 AM
Cheers Ben i still have a fair bit to do to the tank but it all takes time :lol:

Dee
Thu Jan 05, 2006, 02:35 PM
Heya Rick,

Mate, that's a nice looking tank ... great work !

Those RT's will colour up well in due time ... the orange (brown) base you mentioned will become a very nice red in the future. I found my ones started to really get some nice colour at around 8 months or so and they just kept on getting better. Be patient mate :wink: as I mentioned before Rod's RTs are easily some of the best around :wink: they take a little while to colour up, but when they do, they are truly awsome RT's. HTH

Cheers,

Mulisha
Fri Jan 06, 2006, 01:35 AM
Cheer Dee i can't wait :D :D :D :D

nicholas76
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 08:20 PM
great tank!

look fwd to seeing thoe fish grow up big :D

Mulisha
Tue Jan 10, 2006, 10:54 PM
So do i LOL

I can't wait till they start really colour up well :D

endless
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
So how do we go about buying rod lewis fish. BTW Discus D the little guy i bought from you is doing really well

Dee
Wed Jan 11, 2006, 10:39 AM
Heya Endless,

Glad to hear the little Golden Mosaic is doing well :D he/she is a nice fish, post a pic sometime mate :wink:

I have sent u a pm !

Cheers,