PDA

View Full Version : New eggs (the not seperated couple ;-)

Jeroen
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 03:22 AM
A nice surprise I found when I just came to the tanks.
The couple I mentioned before (wondering I should set them appart or let them go on for a while) just have layed eggs....maybe I am just to much of a newby here....but wow what a lot of eggs
I have lot's of hope, but a very little expetations that this will stay over
The couple is in the community tank, I have piece of non transparant polyester to seperate the tank, but I am afraid I will scare the couple and theu will start to eat the eggs.
I have two other options I would like sn opinion about:

A: when the eggs come out and the wrigglers hang at the cone, spilt the tank in two by the polyester....that way with a little luck some will stay over

B: When the wriggles hang at the cone I catch the other discus out and move them to another community tank (empy at the moment)

Is this wise thing to do, or just except the lose of this and comming 2 or 3 batches so they become better parents ?

Jeroen

Ps. look at the photo and tell me, is this a big nest, or is this very regular size ?

Merrilyn
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 04:02 AM
Congratulations ! That's an excellent number of eggs for a young pair. Discus can lay anything from about 50 eggs to 300 eggs, but not all of them will hatch.

The best thing to do would be to remove the other fish in the tank, but wait another 24 hours then you will see if the eggs are fertile or not. If the eggs turn white, then you know they are not fertile, but allow the pair to look after them anyway. It's all good practice for them. If the eggs stay orange, and start to go darker, then you know they are fertile and you have a true pair.

Jeroen
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 11:11 AM
Ok merrilyn, that's what I will do that.
Is it a smart thing when the baby's start to swim away from the cone to the parents to still stick the polyster in the tank to make the space smaller and the young won't get lost so easily ?
the tank is 100cmx50cmx50cm

Jeroen

Ben
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 12:13 PM
Well done Jeroen!!!

keep them in the tank for the time bieng...

Let us know how they go!

cheers and happy new year mate!

Ben

Jeroen
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 02:53 PM
Same to you ben....and merrilyn ofcourse (and everybody else downunder ;-)

Jeroen
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 05:13 PM
This is the situation how it looks like after 20 hours.
Not many eggs became white

Jeroen

Ben
Sat Dec 31, 2005, 11:45 PM
So far so good Jeroen !

fingers crossed for you mate!

Ben

goldenpigeon
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 01:17 AM
excellent parents oyu have there mate!!!! good luck!!!!!

Jeroen
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 07:01 PM
Oh.....shoot

My 2005 present became a 2006 nightmare ;-)
Eggs where gone today, they have survived 36 hours.
But, I didn't expect too much, cause it was a young (new) couple....was there first time
So...I take it as learning curve (but I do feel sorry a little bit....it was so many eggs :-))

Anyway, Everybody a happy newyear

the_oracle
Sun Jan 01, 2006, 07:18 PM
Jeroen,
WTG, buddy........
Don't be discouraged by this.......... They're young couples. Give them time. It's good the eggs can last that long without them eating the eggs. They'll definitely do good the next time round. All the best to you..............
And a Happy New Year too.............

Sanie.

Jeroen
Mon Jan 02, 2006, 01:56 AM
Hi Sanie,

I'm not discouraged (yet ;-)) I have now three couples who had eggs...so atleast I can see some more changes comming up I guess.
What means WTG ?
You have some nice discus yourself too...do you breed discus ?

Jeroen

the_oracle
Mon Jan 02, 2006, 03:23 AM
Jeroen,
Let me rephrase that again, Well Done, mate.
3 couples with eggs? What can I say. Definitely one of them will make it. Just keep your fingers crossed.........
WTG = Way To Go.
Thanks for the nice words, but I'm not into breeding cause I'm all tied up. Maybe next year........
Keep us updated, and more pics. please...............
Cheers.

Sanie.

Jeroen
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 02:14 AM
Pics will come for sure.....first I have to go out and kick myself a lot at my ass.....
Believe it or not, 30 minutes ago I allmost killed the couple :cry:
Was busy to do a big water change, I was using water from a osmosefilter (makes the Us around 10) and I added oakleaf extract to bring the PH down.
Normally I always measure befire I start BUT....not this time :(
When the tank was almost full I decided to measure the water...
Believe it or not: Ph 3 (from 7) ow man....I was shaking all over WHAT TO DO ???
I Imediatly started to empy the tank and pump water from another tank in that one to bring Ph up....somehow I didn't go quick enough, so after 5 minutes the female started to hang somehwhere on the surface (diagonal) ....I had only one change...I had to set them in the tank next to it (emtpy, just runnig water with air)
The temp was there 3.5 degrees celsius higher, but the ph was as in the normal situation (6.9)
I am adding lot's of air to the tank now, and it looks like I could save them (they swim easely around)

Phew....believe it or not....but I am still shaky

I know...this topic don't have to with breeding, or does it: it was a breeding couple, I did those things to set them up to spawn...atleast I have others learn from my (stupid mistake)

Anyay, now I just measured the osmose water, which should be around 6.7 Ph but I measure 4....it looks like the water in the osmoses tank has crashed somehow....

Jeroen

the_oracle
Tue Jan 03, 2006, 06:10 PM
Jeroen,
Take it easy, buddy. You definitely don't want to lose them................
Hope they'll recover soon.............
Keep us updated...........

Sanie.

Jeroen
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 12:00 AM
Hi Sanie....

I did take it easy....the only thing how I can explain is this: on the tank with osmose water the airtube felled out, so there was no circulation...probably because of that and the low Kh value the PH has crashed (or something)

Anyway after one hour they did swim arround like nothing happend...pfew

Jeroen

the_oracle
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 04:16 PM
Jeroen,
Glad to hear they're OK...........
Now, get them to spawn for ya................

Sanie.

Jeroen
Wed Jan 04, 2006, 05:41 PM
:-) I will.....
Last night first symptoms of spawning were there at all three of the couples....dancing, cleaning/garding the cone...so I expect that atleast one of the couples will do so (this week)

Will keep you updated
Jeroen

Del
Sat Jan 07, 2006, 09:02 PM
Hey Jeroen

Well done on your eggs - I only had about 50 but they were gone in 24hrs - like yours my discus are only young so I hope that they will get it right soon!

Will post pictures of the fish for you to see.

DEL

Jeroen
Sun Jan 08, 2006, 12:03 AM
Hi Del (and others)

Last night they had new eggs...so I decided to give it a shot with the cage.
Today are lot's of eggs still gone, I guess I made the cage to small and can they pinch the eggs true the wholes...maybe next time better....ONE DAY I will succeed :-p I just need a lottle of patience.