PDA

View Full Version : Worm On Glass

Lichan
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 12:45 AM
I was just feeding my Discus and noticed a rather longish light redy orange creamy thin, leachy looking worm sliding on the glass heading downward, I think part of it was hidden under the gravel, the part I could see what probably about 8 - 10 cm long and it disappeared under the gravel.
What kind of worm is this likely to be ?
Can you treat the water to get rid of them ?
How would it have got in there ?
I have a bare tank other than some fine gravel. Should I remove all the gravel and have a bare bottom tank ??
Are the fish likely to be infected with this kind of worm ??

Any suggestions or comments very much welcomed.

Regards
Peter

Merrilyn
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 12:51 AM
Hi Peter, have you been feeding live foods lately, like live blackworm or daphnia, or have you added new plants to the tank.

It sounds like a bloodworm, which is the laval form of a flying insect.

BTW are you sure it's 8 CM long, cos that's huge. Could it have been 8 mm long.

A good gravel vac should remove it.

Lichan
Tue Nov 15, 2005, 01:52 AM
Thanks for your reply LR - Hmmm just got a ruler out, the part of the worm I saw was at least 4cm long - and a light creamy red orange (very light)
The only food I can get the discus to eat is frozon blood worm and brine shrimp. I have never fed them live foods.
No the tank only has gravel on the bottom - no plants or driftwood.
Not really sure what to do to get rid of it - Wonder if there are many more of them under the gravel...

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 04:42 AM
At that length, it can't be a good thing to have in your tank, so I think a thorough vacuum of the gravel might reveal some interesting results.

Lichan
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 05:06 AM
vacc'd the gravel last night - removed about half of the gravel with the vaccum (on purpose), went through the gravel that I removed today and nothing, no worms. It must still be in there.
I think over the next week or two I will slowly remove more and more gravel until I have a bare bottom tank. This should remove the problem for good and I dont particularly care about whether I have a substrate or not. I just wonder how the fish might be when they see themselves on the bottom of the tank looking back at themselves as it seems to be mirrored when I look down in there ???

Merrilyn
Wed Nov 16, 2005, 05:48 AM
You can leave just a thin layer of gravel in the bottom of the tank so they don't stress. Fish do cope quite well in bare bottom tanks, but it may take them a few days to get used to it.