PDA

View Full Version : Metal halides

nicholas76
Sat Oct 22, 2005, 02:34 PM
gday all

has anyone tried using metal halide lighting for discus.

marine fish and corasl etc look brilliant under this type of lighting ,, just thinking would discus look better under m/h too?

those who have tried this, can they please post there experiences.

endless
Sat Oct 22, 2005, 10:06 PM
I use metal halides and i do think they make the coloration of my fish stand out more.

G-1000
Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:42 AM
Hey,

Personally, I can see the advantage to using metal halides. But currently I use a bluish-tinge fluorescent light which gives a blue coloured water with red and yellow coloured discus. Contrast looks good.

I would like to go for a halide lighting setup on a display tank and I reckon that would look very good. But does the effect of the lighting justify the price ?

G

nicholas76
Wed Oct 26, 2005, 10:04 PM
when it comes to discus justifying the cost of anything goes out the window.

metal halides are damm expensive. In most instances your looking at $270 upwards for the real deal.

However saying that lighting shops do sell metal halides from home lighting. these go for about $90 appx.

this could be a cheap alternative for fresh water not salt water as marine plants / corals need the full spectrum of lighting ( majority of plants do )

I currently have a nice spare metal halide light sitting in my cupboard.

Trying to decide if i should use my stock fluros or that.

can anyone posty pics please???

duck
Thu Oct 27, 2005, 05:13 AM
IMO unless you a growing plant's or coral it's not worth the money,Just try different spectrum's,Have one around the 10000k and another around the 4000k,When you start hitting the 10000k+ mark it start to have a blue tinge to it,The lower orange/ yellow tinge.
But if have one laying around just try it out and show us some before and after pics's