PDA

View Full Version : getting GREEN color discus do these exist?

rytis
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:18 AM
i saw this beautiful color discus that i really need to get, but i wonder it's not fixed by computer. and i read that green discus are no different then blue verry similar. i was wondering if anyone has ever seen a realy green and not blue discus like in this pic? coz whats fishy is if you look at the right middle, theres something else there green on bottom which makes me suspect that photo had coloration adjusted....

http://www.macsdiscus.com/snakeskin.jpg

axelfaz
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:32 AM
nice looking ss but

Ben
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 11:48 AM
I Have never seen a discus which is actually green. maybe they exist, or maybe they dont.......

The thing you need to watch is flash!

below is a photo taken today with flash.

Its just a normal blue diamond.

HTH

Ben

rytis
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:10 PM
holy crap it looks green. i guess i beter not buy before seing it. actualy that guy s not responding to my email or message yet, probably because i made it clear that i will not accept anything other then what's in the pic and he dont have what's in the pic:

hi, i am ready to order from you two discus snakeskin (which is shown main color as green and not any other) and white diamond (which is shown as briliant white), but i have to be absolutely sure that the colors are right. i have 265g tank, and i already have 9 discus, ordered 2 times from somethingsphishy.com second time they weren't all the right colors, now i got 2 yellows, 2 blue etc. i have no room for errors color wise, i am not a tough customer at all, its just that the only way for me to be happy is if i have a wider variety of colors:

the two i chose from your web site would fit like a glove but they have to be same as in pictures, white can not have any yellow or red, and green sakeskin can not be blue!! do you have those in stock? just like in pics? then i will be a happy customer. and how much is shiping. want to place order asap before it gets cold

Rytis
no reply yet...

Ben
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:24 PM
Hi rytis
is it possible to see the fish face to face?

always a good idea when buying discus.

Cheers,
Ben

rytis
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:33 PM
i know, unfortunately this ones in washington state...and im in philadelphia... but it's ok i got a nice variety i think...

Ben
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Well done mate!

Your tank looks awesome!
I think any green discus would look camouflaged in the plants!

A white discus or 2 would really stand out!

Keep us posted,
Cheers,

Ben

rytis
Wed Sep 28, 2005, 01:06 PM
thanx. here's a full pic:
http://www.petfish.net/gallery/albums/TOTM-Sept05/1126744878_05aq_closet.jpg

tank
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 01:25 AM
Oh god i love the planted tank and your is a real beauty

Merrilyn
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 06:42 AM
In thirty years with discus, I've never seen one that I would call a green snakeskin. I've seen blue/green, but never green.

Maybe one day the breeders will be able to come up with a green discus, other than the Ocean Green, which is really a Blue/green fish.

Love your tank BTW. The way you have the plants arranged is beautiful.

rytis
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 10:24 AM
thanx. i got email from that guy, he said he didnt have those (green) in stock and another guy from discusmadnes said also no green green, so i guess you're right... oh well....

oscar
Thu Sep 29, 2005, 08:59 PM
The pair of discus on the cover of the Baensch Aquarium Atlas also look quite green.

hhhmmm...must assume it is the photography.

nicholas76
Fri Sep 30, 2005, 02:56 AM
Do a search for red spotted greens

Squid
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 05:25 AM
Hey guys - I deal mainly with wild greens and Red spotted greens up here in Townsville. I do have a lot of wild blues and Blue Turks etc. If I put them (together) in a holding tank, the greens definitely are green. ie you can really pick it when they are together. My Peruvian greens would be the 'greenest'. Now to contradict - I've done a bit of mucking around up here and took some photos on high res and zoomed right in on the markings. I've placed the blue and greens close together side by side and they are almost identicle. (a bit like being at the paint section comparing colour strips at Mitre-10!). The Wild Blues are actually more green. It must be that the wild greens have a lot of yellow in them, and I think it makes them look greener. Mix the green stripes with a dark/red background fish and it appears more blue. Try this out at home and see what you get.

nicholas76
Sat Oct 01, 2005, 01:59 PM
start posting pics squid!

Squid
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 01:11 AM
I have the pics but photoshop is giving me th s*%ts. It doesn't seem to want to reduce the size of the image for some reason - I'll have another go so stand by.

Squid
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 02:51 AM
Well - here goes! Excuse my lack of respect for the photography profession. Here are some photos of my RSG's, Rio Alenquer Blues and some wild Peruvian Greens. On close examination, you'll not notice that the Blue discus have more green than the so called greens. I'm still trying to contruct that colour montage into an image so I can show you. But all these fish were photographed under the same light in the same tank - so no trick photography

nicholas76
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 04:36 AM
lovely lovely fish!!!

great strains!

Woll
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 05:59 AM
You could try to experiment with lights. Red and blue spectrum will enhance colours (aswell as being great for plants) and may "alter" some of the fish colours to appear to be green.

nicholas76
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 08:57 AM
nice fish

are they from asia ???

Squid
Tue Oct 04, 2005, 11:33 PM
No nick - most of mine come from a dealer in Manaus/Brazil (old Tukeys aquarium) and I actually get them from Germany. Also, Bayfish (in Burpengary- Brisbane) get a good range of quality wild stuff. Not a lot of people deal through them for some reason but its wild catching time over in the Amazon right now, so we should start to see the fresh stuff coming in soon at Bay's I hope. Got my credit card ready

I changed the light setting on my tank and the greens went blue and vica verca. My greens in direct sunlight showed the most green. Direct sunlight is definitely the go!

kevkoi
Wed Oct 05, 2005, 12:46 AM
Don't mean to be a wet-blanket but that RSG is not wild. That's exactly what the Penang breeders call RSG..... Actually a throw-back from trying to achieve the fully spotted leopards. (RSG were used somewhere along the line, but that's definately 3times removed from their wild cousins.). I've had some imports of the wild Tefe Red spotted greens, but unfortunately I always get stuck with them... :cry:

Peru RSG... Most likely Rio Nanay. There's an interesting read about Peruvian Red Spotted Green on the net somewhere, and these were an interesting accidental introduction. U see, the collection point is apparently too high up the river for discus, but today discus are found there because there used to be an exporter's holding facility up there which got flooded many many years ago, which released various discus which were held there.

Alenquer blues.... Interesting fish. Would have liked the catch location to be a bit more clear. Alenquer's a big place.

Yes it's wild discus season.... Heckels coming in soon. Coari reds coming in too. So will some very nice red curiperas. :wink:

Malaysian breeders do get shipments direct from Brazil for wild discus, usually around this time of year. They use these wilds to inject wild blood into their strains to increase size, vigour and try for some new fancy pattern/colour. We have that luxury to buy off or to combine shipments with them when they import. Fish we usually get are large show fish at 5-6".

Squid
Thu Oct 06, 2005, 12:16 AM
Kev - I'll find out where the Alenquer blues were caught. I'm going over to Manaus Autumn next year and I'll talk to the guys, but I think they were closer to where the Alenquer meets the Amazon proper. The RSG - you're dead right cause I reckon she's a 'bitsa' from the production line for leopards. Nice fish though. Got very pronounced central bars, so a bit of red heckel maybe in the blood too. They were imported from Malaysia by a guy in Tasmania. Looked very RSG when young and then developed into Leopards.

Keep me informed when your next shipment comes in because I spend about $1000 per month on attaining new stock. Mainly wild stuff with the odd hybrid. Chasing some Tefe RSGs/lake Coari stuff and Heckels this season. I would have certainly taken those RSG's off your hands!!

rytis
Thu Oct 06, 2005, 12:24 AM
ok. does anyone see any green discus in this pic?

Squid
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:17 AM
Are they Blue Diamonds up the back. Looks like the light/camera has turned them a green colour. Whats the little fella bottom right lurking amongst the weeds?

rytis
Fri Oct 07, 2005, 02:48 AM
yep, its a blue diamond in theback/middle. and the little fella bottom right lurking amongst the weeds is supposed to be this http://www.somethingsphishy.com/images/Red%20Snakeskin.jpg
but it dont quite look like it, maybe it will grow into one just like its supposed to be, but either way, it's original so its ok....