PDA

View Full Version : What types of filters do people have in a 2ft tank

axl
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:41 PM
Hi,
just wanting to no what type of filters do you have going when you have a pair of discus trying to bred in a 2ft tank and also do you have a spawning cone in there or what do they lay there eggs on. Just curious so i no what to do when my time comes to bred discus.
cheers axl

mcloughlin2
Thu Sep 22, 2005, 11:55 PM
Most people use sponge filters for breeding discus....generally u have a spawning cone,clay pot or a piece of pipe in the tank for the discus to lay their eggs on....

HTH

kalebjarrod
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 04:00 AM
i use a small HOB and a sponge

i use terracota cones

seems to work for me!

DR.V
Fri Sep 23, 2005, 06:34 AM
yes use sponge filter for breeding tank and use terracota pot from Bunnings cost me about $2

nicholas76
Sun Oct 09, 2005, 12:11 AM
there you go!

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4440

cheers!

Ben
Tue Oct 18, 2005, 12:17 AM
AXL,
When breeding ideally you want a tank with painted back and 2 sides. A tank 2x18x18 is good, but because as there is not many litres you will need to water change once per day.

A simply sponge filter or corner box filter will be fine, but try and go for lighter colours, as some not so good parents will not tend to their fry as well and some of the young ones will get lost.

Make sure there is not too much turbulence and this may lower the fertile rate of the spawn. Just a gently stream of bubbles from the filtration is enough.

I don’t use proper discus/angel fish breeding cones but terracotta pots from bunnings.

A good pair of adult discus, daily water changes and a good variety of food should see some babies in no time!

Cheers,
Ben