PDA

View Full Version : Uncycled quarantine tank

endless
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 03:54 AM
I have a little bit of a dilemma. Im expecting delivery of some altum angels and discus (altogether 10 fish) from SLS in the next couple of days. Problem is my 3 foot quarantine tank is uncycled and there is no way i can cycle this tank in time for them to arrive. I also dont have any spare seeded filters on hand so i may have to introduce these fish straight into my main display tank even though i dont want to. What do u guys think i should do? Can i put them in the 3 foot quarantine tank and just do daily water changes. if so how much water should i change each day
thanks in advance

kevkoi
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 03:59 AM
What's in your main display tank?

Can u pull out gravel, plant, used filter media from your display tank?

If so, fill your quarantine 3ft tank with water from your display tank, seed the filter by using your old filter media from exisiting display tank filter. After fish arrive, u will be feeding lightly anyway, so keep checking the amonia and nitrite levels in the quarantine tank after fish have been introduced.

endless
Thu Sep 08, 2005, 06:12 AM
ok thanks for the info kev

spencer
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hi Endless
You could also use Seachem Stability
cheers Max

endless
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 01:36 AM
what is seachem stability exactly? Is it like cycle cause im using that at the moment

endless
Mon Sep 12, 2005, 03:18 AM
This is the directions for the use of seachem stability:
"DIRECTIONS: Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 40 L (10 gallons*) on the first day with a new aquarium. Then use 1 capful for each 80 L (20 gallons*) daily for 7 days. Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as dosage is maintained for 7 days. For optimum biofilter performance use 1 capful for each 40 L (10 gallons*) once a month or with each water change and whenever introducing new fish or whenever medicating an aquarium."

What is interesting is that "fish can be introduced anytime as long as the dosage is maintained"

Does that mean you can introduce fish without harming them before the tank is cycled? anyone tried this product?