PDA

View Full Version : What filtration for a 810 litre tank

Fri Aug 26, 2005, 02:21 PM
Hi Everybody,

I've started a few posts now doing research for my tank so i wont bore you with details.....what filtration setup would people recommende for an 810 litre tank? and specifically what brands/models of Canister would you suggest i look at?

Thanks

D

Proteus
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 05:44 PM
For that amount of water from personal experience, a mini-reef/sump set up with a correctly rated pump.

kalebjarrod
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 09:52 PM
Sump for sure :wink:

Fri Aug 26, 2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks Proteus & kalebjarrod,

does anybody have any designs or pictures of one setup?

otto
Fri Sep 02, 2005, 10:11 PM
heres a picture of my sump, it filters a 500L tank and does very well.

Sat Sep 03, 2005, 01:17 AM
Thanks otto, yours is very similar to the design that i have designed for myself (still yet to make).....it's similar to the reef surge design with removable filter chambers and rotating spray bar at the top of each chamber.... Just out of interest is that filter wool that you have at the top of your bio-ball chamber?

otto
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 10:02 PM
newbie, the filter material i use in the drip tray is called dacron you can get it from bedding manufacturers, upholsterers etc or maybe your LFS, i just cut it
to size. the other mech filtration in the baffles is Aqua-Pure polyfibre filter pad from my LFS its a bit more durable than the dacron and again its cut to fit.

rytis
Fri Sep 16, 2005, 12:31 AM
Hi Everybody,

I've started a few posts now doing research for my tank so i wont bore you with details.....what filtration setup would people recommende for an 810 litre tank? and specifically what brands/models of Canister would you suggest i look at?

Thanks

D
i am exactly the guy to answer your question:
i have 265 gallon tank (1000 liter) and i've wasted a lot on filters, discus kept dying, gave up shortly on keeping discus, then made my own filter, tried one more discus and it finally worked.

buy a pump at home depot ~$50 about 1000gph is fine. intake tube u want to make a TUBE WITH HOLES EVERY 2" OR SO TO COVER WIDER AREA!!! THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT AS I FOUND OUT!!!! made the whole difference

then i got 2 (4")pipe endcaps, piece of pipe and with imagination made a thing that unscrews and where i keep sponges. DO NOT BUY FLUVAL it's crap. wisper and other powerfilters will not do!!! especially if u have live plants like me u dont want surface aggitation and fluval works when it decides and not u.

u can see my filter here in the back before i painted it black and covered with plants
http://vytasornamental.net/filterjuly1.jpg

my tank yesterday: http://vytasornamental.net/sep14'05aq-closet.jpg yes that filter is same way in the back, just not visible