PDA

View Full Version : Proposed tank dimensions/glass supply -advice needed (Perth)

Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:06 AM
Hi Everybody,

My name is Daniel. I live in Perth, Western Australia. At the moment i'm looking at setting up a Discus display tank. I have been involved with tropicals, cichlids and discus in the past but finally want to get my own tank of them. I have toyed with the idea of constructing my own tank to the dimensions 6ft long X 3ft wide X 2.5ft high. What are peoples thoughts on those dimensions? Do you see any inherent risks with it? (I'm debating with myself whether the 3ft wide and 2.5ft high is a bit of overkill). I want to have the tank planted with driftwood, external canister filter (although i'm toying with the idea of constructing my own filter much like a sump in a marine aquarium) and i'm also thinking about the possibility of lining the back and sides with some fake rock rather than having it either painted black or sticking a backdrop on it. What are peoples thoughts? I want the tank to look as natural as possible to the extent that i want to put the filter return at one end of the tank to simulate a slight current etc. Also, does anybody know of any good glass supply places in Perth who are reasonable with their prices? or can anybody recommend a place that can make one? I have made aquariums before (although not to this scale) and i wouldnt mind doing it myself so if me making it works out cheaper then i'd happily look at that over someone else building it. Also, and sorry to keep going....are there any good Discus suppliers in Perth?

Thanks again

Dan

Proteus
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:32 PM
Personally I would stick to 2ft high, as maintenance can be a pain when getting any deeper (you get wet).

Just bear in mind, if going 3ft wide, you need a heavy duty stand/cabinet, and will it fit into your premises.

Otherwise, as I say, the bigger the tank the better.

Tue Aug 23, 2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your feedback Proteus.....i am starting to feel that the 3ft by 2.5ft might be a bit much....the 3ft especially with the distance it would come out from our wall. So what about 2ft wide by 2ft high? more realistic? I've always been a shocker at 'visualising' dimensions...i'm more of an 'in the flesh' person

Proteus
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 01:08 PM
I currently have both a 6x2x2 & a 5x2x2 (and several other large (4ft+) tanks).

6x2.5x2 is a nice size. (I had one, but it didnt fit into my apartment - refer to image below)

It isnt as easy as just marking a space out on the ground, you really do need to see it in person.

cody
Tue Aug 23, 2005, 01:35 PM
How much fun is it when you get a tank paid for an delivered then realise your door way are 7mm to thin to get the bloody thing through the blasted door!! (why does god hate me)

Tue Aug 23, 2005, 02:43 PM
Proteus, that 6 X 2.5 X 2 looks nice....do you have any pictures of that complete? I think 3ft would definitely be way too wide plus that depth the Discus would probably want to hide at the back more.....

Cody, 7mm! you're joking! hos did you get it in? i would have taken out a window and put it through that way...assuming you had a big enough window.

kalebjarrod
Wed Aug 24, 2005, 09:22 AM
anything deeper than 2 ft is a pain to clean

ie; my tank LOL

6 x 2 x 2 is a great size

easy to get to, easy to find, well priced :wink:

aquafrogstuff
Fri Sep 09, 2005, 11:30 PM
I also live in Perth and got a tank from Aquotix in Canningvale. There is one main glass or tank supplier in Perth called 'glass one'. To be honest I wouldn't recommend making the tank yourself unless you really know what you're doing, particularly a large tank. I've heard too many bad stories. When you look at the cost of the material versus the additional labour etc to have it built, you're not saving that much to offset the risk of the tank failing after you've gone to the trouble of setting it up.

I've found a few suppliers of discus in Perth. Aquatix sell them, but I've found two better places (The Pet Shop on Gnagara Rd and Exotic Tropical Fish in Wangara). The latter of the two have heaps of discus (or they did when I was there last a week ago). It's like Discus heaven.

All the best.