PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Discus in Melbourne

kenkun88
Mon Jul 25, 2005, 06:08 PM
Hi all,
i'm looking for places where i can get good quality discus from in melbourne. been to many fish shops but the discus don't look very good. so far the best place i've bought from is oakleigh discus on warrigal rd. does anyone know where else i can get nice discus? i used to know a backyard breeder but his discus were wiped out a couple of months back, poor guy. now i'm kinda bored having to keep going back to the same place. hehe
looking for reds and golds (or solid coloureds) discus especially.
hope you can help, thanks.

Kenny

Merrilyn
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 12:10 AM
Hi Kenny, welcome to the forum. Glad to have another Melbourne member. The aquarium shop in Oakleigh is about the only local shop with a range of discus.

A lot of members are having their fish shipped from interstate when looking for something special.

Have a look at the classifieds here and see if there is something that appeals to you. Having a box of fish air freighted from NSW costs around $50. Air travel is quick and safe, and the fish arrive in excellent condition.

kenkun88
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 02:01 PM
yep. i've been discus hunting for ages but oakleigh is just about the only place i trust. i have been thinking about ordering interstate but i wish i could see and then choose the discus. ah.. such is life.
ps- are there any places you would recommend ordering from?
thanks again!

cactusboy
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 03:32 PM
Hi All,

I am new to this group and this is my first post.
There is an aquarium store in Footscray that has a small selection(6-8 strains, last time I was there) of juvi discus. Not quite the selection as the guy in Oakleigh, but this aquarium has breeding pairs in tanks laying eggs which is sometihing that I have never seen at the Oakleigh store. He also has many adult discus, with some strains that I have never seen in any other aquarium store in Melbourne.

I think its on Hopkins RD, close towards the interesection with Geelong RD. It's a relatively new aquarium store so I don't think there details could be found in the Yellow Pages. A small store but he had a few uncommon fish for sale. Even a Zebra pleco which he sold.

ctvu
Tue Jul 26, 2005, 11:50 PM
yep. i've been discus hunting for ages but oakleigh is just about the only place i trust. i have been thinking about ordering interstate but i wish i could see and then choose the discus. ah.. such is life.
ps- are there any places you would recommend ordering from?
thanks again!

There are our sponsors here from interstate, like SLS, Rod Lewis...., you can ask them for pic and what you get is what you see. I have ordered a lot from SLS, friends of mine here have ordered from Rod too.

Hope this helps and good luck for discus hunting.

To cactusboy

Firstly Warm Welcome to DF, and thanks for sharing your info

And where about are you guys? I am in Forest Hill may be we are neighbour

ctvu

kenkun88
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:54 AM
toorak here.. might go have a look at the shop in footscray later, thanks mate

cactusboy
Wed Jul 27, 2005, 01:02 PM
I live in Box Hill. I'm still new to the hobby. At the moment I have 3 discus in a 90L tank with some other fish. I will be upgrading very soon!