PDA

View Full Version : What Should You Pay For Turq's?

Bronx19
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:27 AM
Hey guys, Im just wondering what I should expect to pay for juvenile blue and red turqs?

I visited the largest local store, and they are asking $59 for turqs and $69 for Cobalt blue's, all are 2.5inch.

There was only one fish there at the time and it didnt strike me as anything special.

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:41 AM
Can you give us an idea for your area Bronx.

Price is very much determined by area.

oldschoolculture
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:42 AM
It depends on where you go really. I recently purchased a really nice juvenille blue turq for $25. Nice, clean and round. If u can find a place that breeds discus themselves then the price is cheaper. Some places really charge way to much for under the weather fish.
Where do u live?

Bronx19
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:49 AM
Im on the south Coast, Wollongong.

From what I have read on here, it seems that blue and red turqs are the bread and butter of the discus world, and shouldnt go for more than $30-40.

weird
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:35 PM
If your looking to save some dosh, you may have some luck sourcing your discus from local breeders from within this forum, contacting the Australian Discus Association or perhaps from the newspapers/tradingpost - but like anything there is no guarantee of quality if you don't know the sellers reputation before buying.

Kaza
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:34 PM
As the others have said it depends where you are, here in Adelaide I get paid by the LFS $23.00 for 5 - 6 cm red turks. Thats the wholesale price in Adelaide. They retail for around $50.00

axl
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hi,
send a pm to rod from sunshine discus andhe will be able to look after in the way of cheap turqs, last time i talk to him they were about $20 each
cheers axl

nicholas76
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:04 PM
How long is a piece of string ????

quality should equal price.

inspect the fish and then the price, generally whats been quoted above is the go.

Mattzilla
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:59 PM
i was just about to say that nicholas....

How long is a piece of string ????

yeah you really can't price a fish by name alone.... factors to think about are size, shape, colour, health, genetic background etc

Bronx19
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 02:25 AM
Well, I have little experience on the matter, but I would say that the quality is far from that of somewhere such as SLS.

They had a display tank with PB's in it, they were more black with speckle than anything else, so it didnt convey a lot of confidence.

chris
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 11:36 PM
Id pay for quality This guy was about $70 at 3inchs I think, He is my favourite fish at the moment, I bought two at at the same time they have paired up and lay eggs regular, Now I reckon ive got a bargain,
If you buy them at say three or four inchs have nice shape and colour you my pay more. But quality is first I think you wont good specimens. re Take your time pick good ones you will have em for a long time :!:

the_oracle
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 12:00 AM
Look at my avatar. I got 3 of them 2 years ago and I paid SG$25 for all 3. Now, he's the only 1 remaining. The other 2 turn out to be runts and sadly I had to cull them. I put in lots of effort in keeping him to this shape. Lots of WC, quality food and most important lots of TLC. So I guess you'll have to take your time in selecting what you really want.

Sanie.

Bronx19
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 06:42 AM
I found that most stores base their prices on name, not quality.

chris
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 07:04 AM
wait for the quality fish, Its easy to buy fish its harder to get rid of em.

weird
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 08:19 AM
Well I know one shop near where I live, sells based on name ... Discus ... lol.

jim from sydney
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 11:00 AM
Im on the south Coast, Wollongong.

From what I have read on here, it seems that blue and red turqs are the bread and butter of the discus world, and shouldnt go for more than $30-40.
spend a day in sydney there are lots of good shops, ring before and you will be pleased....Jim

heckelboy
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 11:29 AM
Bronx19, I can give you 3-4 juv blue turqs. I am in Vaucluse. If interested PM me.

jwight
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 07:25 AM
Kaza. Who do you sell your discus to? I might be interested in that.