PDA

View Full Version : Oil Slick

pitchblack
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 03:09 AM
hey discus ppl was wondering if some people get a fine layer of what looks like clear oil at the water level of their tank and whats it caused from. Ive had it pop up only a couple of times and its easily removed but stumped as to why ????

Fishpimpin73
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 04:35 AM
It can happen in ANY tank, and is "usually" just the oil from your skin.

OR

A byproduct from certain types of foods.

OR

Have you burned dinner lately?
There have been a couple times when dinner got a little "overdone"..........
And the smoke in the house can collect on the water and cause the same type of film.
Other things in the house can cause the same issue.
Depends on the amount of air circulation you have.

Best thing to do for this is just take a paper towel and "skim" the surface of the tank.
Clears it right up :wink:

HTH

pitchblack
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 05:53 AM
thanks fishpimpin he he he.... No Im an excellent cook used to be a chef ut got out of the game. I always wash the hands and arms before entering into the tank but do clean the oil slick up with a paper towel... I often feed the boys frozen blood worms along with other food in their diet could that be the prob???

Mattzilla
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 05:57 AM
do you feed beef heart?

sometimes people get the 'oil slick' from feeding bh

Bill T.
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 10:14 AM
I've got this cheap surface skimmer from fluval - just fits onto the intake of my canister filter and you adjust it to skim some from the surface and intake some form lower in the tank. Works like a charm.

jim
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:16 AM
Hey Bill T

Can you please show me a pic on the fluval skimmer? Ehiem surfafe skimmer is very expensive..cost around $70...
Did you bought it from LFS or from internet?

pitchblack
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 02:31 AM
thanks Bt my lfs recommended it to me $30 bucks preety cheap so I think thats the solution...

pitchblack
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 02:32 AM
Mattzilla I dont feed the fish bh....

Bill T.
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:13 PM
Good luck with the surface skimmer.
I have modified mine just a bit. I fitted a rubber hose washer to the clear tube to keep it at a specific level and I take all the air out of the flotation chamber (with a baby medicine dropper). When I do water changes I take the top part off as I have sometimes interrupted the siphon to my canister filter which is a nuisance to restart. Then just fiddle with the adjuster to get the right water flow.