PDA

View Full Version : Albino experience

mistakes r crucial
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 08:21 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have experience growing out Albino discus? I have 10 of them and although they are healthy their growth rate is nothing like the other fish I have in the same system. Most of the other Discus have at least doubled in size over the last 3 months but these little fellas have really dragged their feet. Live food is about the only thing that gets them real excited but I think I'm making a rod for my own back in the long term. I've tried starving them but they still only pick at BH and frozen BW.

Do they naturally grow slower than most or am I doing something wrong? Any ideas/help would be appreciated.
MAC

Proteus
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:44 PM
sorry for the dumb question, you say Albino Discus, I am assuming these are the same as White Swans???

mistakes r crucial
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 09:55 PM
No, they're a yellow based Albino from Roy Khoo, a beautiful looking fish.

Proteus
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 10:33 PM
I thought they were different, but I have heard people call White Swans, Albinos before.

jim
Wed Apr 20, 2005, 11:35 PM
Is it like this one...my albino ... it eats anything and very healthy...but I can not see it grow for the past 2 months...

mistakes r crucial
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:11 AM
Hi Jim,

Thats the one, where did you get yours from? From the pic it looks like a Roy Khoo Albino, very similar to mine.
MAC

jim
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 02:34 AM
Mine is the Red Rabbit Albino, you can tell the centre of the eye is red...not black...I bought mine from SLS syd
If you say you have 10 of them...I will say you are bloody- rich...coz one of Red Rabbit Albino can cost more than $200 easy..

Above pic is 2 -3 months old...fish is still same size..maybe little bigger..I can not tell..but the body is more yellow now..

sunshinediscus
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 04:29 AM
Nigel,

I'd say your albinos have a health problem, they grow about as fast as regular discus. They should feed on anything you care to give them, as is typical of Roy's fish. Hard to know what's wrong without seeing them and knowing symptoms, but you mentioned poor appetite, among other diseases flagellated infections often cause poor appetite. I don't like giving disease advice over the internet but thats where i would start the investigation. My albinos eat anything and everything.

Rod

mistakes r crucial
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks Rod. These guys are very small compared to the other strains but will eat like mad when given live food. It's a different story when fed BH or BW, very picky. I'll consider giving them another flagellate treatment shortly and see what happens.
MAC

leanne31
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 01:46 PM
Hi Mac Ive got the same problem you have but with a blue diamond hes a good eater as long as its live black worm, frozen bs or flake food will not go near blood worms and will only slightly pick at the beef heart I got him 3 months ago and I dont think hes grown at all. Ive dosed him twice now for internal flagellates and also wormed him twice and nothing. Ive now moved him to a bb tank with 1 other discus and a couple of corys to see if I can feed him up a bit more and see if his growth increases so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see.

Leanne

mistakes r crucial
Thu Apr 21, 2005, 07:48 PM
Its a pain isnt it Leanne! These guys look healthy enough, fins out, coloured up etc but very small compared to the rest and not much of a belly on them. I've treated twice for flukes but the whole system of 75 fish, hex once and then worms.

I think Rod Lewis ought to move to the Sunshine Coast, far better lifestyle up here than Brisbane and some great Discus keepers looking for mentors which I'm sure would make him very happy :D
MAC

goldenpigeon
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 06:02 AM
actually i think he should move to the gold coast. then he'll have a couple more discus freaks to talk to :) HEHE !!!!!! the life style here cant really get any better i dont think! PERFECT!!!!!

wat u think Rod!

sunshinediscus
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:25 AM
LOL Nigel and David, I'd be happy anywhere as long as there are good discus and a golf course.

Katie
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:38 AM
Don't you DARE Rod! You are the only one on this board within reasonable driving distance to me with Discus.
BTW, there is a golf course just down the road from me, so if you were to move anywhere MOVE CLOSER TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DR.V
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:45 AM
nice looking fish u got there

Dee
Fri Apr 22, 2005, 08:54 AM
Hey Rod,

How about moving to Melbourne mate ? :P We need good discus down this way. Oh and our sand belt courses are second to none :wink: The Dunes has gotta be seen to be believed :shock: Except our weather can be crappy, although there's nothing like 18 holes on a winter's morning ! Fourrrrrrrrr!

Cheers,

Dee. :)

leanne31
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 02:31 AM
Every fish I see for sale is in Melbourne so if he needs to move anywhere its Adelaide how about it rod.

Leanne

mistakes r crucial
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 05:33 AM
What did I start? Now, now ladies, I'm sure there's enough of him to go around.

goldenpigeon
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 11:50 AM
lol im a guy! not a girl! Rod the gold coast is the spot for golf!!!!! we have some of the best golf courses and atleast 8 of em!

sunshinediscus
Sat Apr 23, 2005, 08:45 PM
David, yes i have played many of the gold coast golf cources and also the sunshine coast courses up Nigels way. I can say either place will be nice to retire too. And the sandbelt courses down Dee's way are legendary and somewhere i'd like to go one day. Not too sure about Adelaide, the only course which gets a mention up here is Royal Adelaide and if the Royal course up here in QLD is anything to go by then it is next to immpossible to even get a game on it. I checked with my wife guys, but it seems i have to stay in Brissie for a while yet....lol. Thanks for the laugh everyone.